There are schools offering clinical psychology degrees in California!
Schools Offering Clinical Psychology Programs in California
Each year, roughly 0.2% of California students graduate with degrees in clinical psychology. In other words, every year an estimated 1,365 clinical psychologists graduate from California's 30 clinical psychology schools.
University of California-San Diego, which is located in La Jolla, is the top-ranked school in California that has a clinical psychology program. It received a ranking of 12th in the country in 2010. 2 students graduated with a degree in clinical psychology from University of California-San Diego in 2010. Students at University of California-San Diego paid $11,306 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in California that has a clinical psychology program is Biola University. Biola University, which was ranked 21st in the country in 2010, is located in La Mirada. 29 students graduated with degree in clinical psychology from Biola University in 2010. Tuition at Biola University was $28,852 per year.
Pepperdine University, which was ranked 21st nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in California that has a clinical psychology program. It is located in Malibu. 192 students graduated with degree in clinical psychology from Pepperdine University in 2010. Pepperdine University charged in-state students $39,080 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at California's clinical psychology schools ranges from $39,080 per year to $5,206 per year. But, the average tuition is $10,027 per year. In 2010, the following California clinical psychology schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Pepperdine University - located in Malibu, students are charged $39,080 per year
- California Lutheran University - located in Thousand Oaks, students are charged $31,000 per year
- Biola University - located in La Mirada, students are charged $28,852 per year
The clinical psychology schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in California were:
- San Diego State University - located in San Diego, students are charged $5,206 per year
- University of California-San Diego - located in La Jolla, students are charged $11,306 per year
- Southern California Seminary - located in El Cajon, students are charged $12,552 per year
A clinical psychology degree from a California school... what next?
The highest percentage of clinical psychology graduates in California pursue careers as a clinical psychologist. In 2010, there were 15,510 clinical psychologists working in California. The California counties with the largest populations of clinical psychologists are:
- Los Angeles County - 4,250 clinical psychologists
- Alameda County - 1,660 clinical psychologists
- San Diego County - 1,590 clinical psychologists
The government projects that the number of clinical psychologists in California will grow by 7%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 23,800 clinical psychologists working in California.
On average, clinical psychologists earn $82,770 per year. However, California clinical psychologists earned anywhere in the range from as less than $26,650 per year to more than $161,780 per year in 2010. A clinical psychologist in the following California counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Kings County - $110,330 per year
- Monterey County - $104,420 per year
- Kern County - $101,970 per year
The following counties in California have the lowest average salaries for clinical psychologists:
- Butte County - $69,900 per year
- Ventura County - $72,330 per year
- Lassen County - $72,600 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in clinical psychology and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as clinical psychology or sports psychology.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology in California
- Doctoral Degree in Clinical Psychology in California
Curious what studying Clinical Psychology gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Marriage and Family Therapists||n/a||$46,620|
|Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychologists||15,510||$82,770||11.3%|
|Mental Health Counselors||8,450||$47,070||-29.3%|
|Psychologists, All Other||1,240||$96,000||11.7%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are clinical psychology related jobs in California