There are schools offering dental hygienist programs in California!
Schools Offering Dental Hygiene Programs in California
Approximately 0.1% of graduates in of California receive dental hygiene degrees every year. That means an estimated 594 dental hygienists graduate from California's 27 dental hygienist schools each year.
University of Southern California, which was ranked 7th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in California that has a dental hygienist program. It is located in Los Angeles. 37 students graduated with a degree in dental hygienist from University of Southern California in 2010. Students at University of Southern California paid $41,022 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in California that has a dental hygienist program is University of the Pacific. University of the Pacific, which was ranked 33rd in the country in 2010, is located in Stockton. In 2010, University of the Pacific graduated 17 students from its dental hygienist program. Students at University of the Pacific paid $34,100 per year in tuition fees.
Tuition at California's dental hygienist schools ranges from $41,022 per year to $644 per year. But, the average tuition is $4,650 per year. The California dental hygienist schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- University of the Pacific - located in Stockton, students are charged $34,100 per year
- San Joaquin Valley College-Rancho Cucamonga - located in Rancho Cucamonga, students are charged $14,880 per year
The dental hygienist schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Sacramento City College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Cypress College - located in Cypress, students are charged $656 per year
- Fresno City College - located in Fresno, students are charged $658 per year
A dental hygienist degree from a California school... what next?
The highest percentage of dental hygienist graduates in California pursue careers as a dental hygienist. If you decide to work as a dental hygienist in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 18,050 California dental hygienists as of 2010. The largest populations of California dental hygienists are working in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 3,300 dental hygienists
- Alameda County - 2,250 dental hygienists
- El Dorado County - 1,690 dental hygienists
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 23,300 dental hygienists will be working in California state. This would require the number of dental hygienists to grow by 25%.
A dental hygienist in California makes an average of $90,220 per year. But, salaries for dental hygienists can vary. In 2010, dental hygienists made as little as less than $44,410 per year or as much as more than $144,270 per year in California. A dental hygienist in the following California counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Marin County - $104,250 per year
- Sonoma County - $101,510 per year
- Colusa County - $99,630 per year
The California counties with the lowest average salary for dental hygienists are:
- Merced County - $65,300 per year
- Santa Barbara County - $67,510 per year
- Fresno County - $73,890 per year
For more data regarding a career in dental hygiene in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as health science or medical assisting, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Dental Hygiene in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Dental Hygiene in California
- Certificate in Dental Hygiene in California
Curious what studying Dental Hygienist gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are dental hygienist related jobs in California