There are schools offering fashion programs in California!
Schools Offering Fashion Programs in California
Otis College of Art and Design, which is located in Los Angeles, is the top-ranked school in California that has a fashion program. It received a ranking of 41st in the country in 2010. In 2010, 41 students graduated from Otis College of Art and Design's fashion program. Otis College of Art and Design charged in-state students $32,900 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in California with a fashion program is Point Loma Nazarene University, which is located in San Diego. In 2010, it was ranked 67th nationwide. In 2010, 4 students graduated from Point Loma Nazarene University fashion program. Tuition at Point Loma Nazarene University was $27,100 per year.
The third-ranked school in California that has a fashion program is FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Los Angeles. FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Los Angeles, which was ranked 71st in the country in 2010, is located in Los Angeles. 1,187 students graduated with degree in fashion from FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Los Angeles in 2010. Tuition at FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Los Angeles was $25,536 per year.
If you choose to attend a California fashion school, average tuition will be $9,979 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $624 per year to $35,222 per year. In 2010, the following California fashion schools had the highest tuition rates:
- California College of the Arts - located in Oakland, students are charged $35,222 per year
- Otis College of Art and Design - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $32,900 per year
- Woodbury University - located in Burbank, students are charged $29,132 per year
The fashion schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- San Joaquin Delta College - located in Stockton, students are charged $624 per year
- American River College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Santa Monica College - located in Santa Monica, students are charged $652 per year
A fashion degree from a California school... what next?
Some of the most popular jobs fashion graduates in California pursue include model, marketing manager, merchadiser, fashion magazine editor, and photographer. If you decide to work as a fashion professional in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 497,110 California fashion professional as of 2010. This number includes 3,990 fashion designers, 150 models, and 29,730 marketing managers. The California counties with the largest populations of fashion professional are:
- Los Angeles County - 135,400 fashion professionals
- Orange County - 48,800 fashion professionals
- San Diego County - 44,110 fashion professionals
The government projects that, by 2018, the number of fashion professionals in the state of California will shrink to 654,400. This would require a 0% decline in the field.
On average, fashion professionals earn $58,177 per year. However, California fashion professional earned anywhere in the range from as less than $17,400 per year to more than $164,550 per year in 2010. On average fashion professional earn the most in the following California counties:
- Napa County - $82,710 per year
- Marin County - $72,955 per year
- Monterey County - $67,446 per year
The California counties with the lowest average salary for fashion professionals are:
- Merced County - $21,450 per year
- Sutter County - $22,330 per year
- Kings County - $22,690 per year
On average, the highest paid fashion professionals in California were:
- Marketing Manager - $139,170 per year
- Fashion Designer - $72,500 per year
- Fashion Magazine Editor - $61,390 per year
The fashion professionals with lowest average salaries in California were:
- Knitter - $25,960 per year
- Sales Associate - $25,810 per year
For more data regarding a career in fashion in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as fashion or fashion design, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Fashion in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Fashion in California
- Master's Degree in Fashion in California
- Certificate in Fashion in California
Curious what studying Fashion gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products||14,120||$55,470||-14.6%|
|Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers||2,500||$44,380||5.9%|
|Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||1,280||$25,960||-56.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are fashion related jobs in California