There are schools offering gerontology programs in California!
Schools Offering Gerontology Programs in California
The top-ranked school in California that has a gerontology program is University of Southern California. University of Southern California, which was ranked 7th in the country in 2010, is located in Los Angeles. 40 students graduated with a degree in gerontology from University of Southern California in 2010. Students at University of Southern California paid $41,022 per year in tuition fees.
University of La Verne, which was ranked 38th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in California that has a gerontology program. It is located in La Verne. 7 students graduated with degree in gerontology from University of La Verne in 2010. University of La Verne charged in-state students $29,800 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in California that has a gerontology program is Notre Dame de Namur University. Notre Dame de Namur University, which was ranked 45th in the country in 2010, is located in Belmont. In 2010, 1 students graduated from Notre Dame de Namur University gerontology program. Notre Dame de Namur University charged in-state students $28,500 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at California's gerontology schools ranges from $41,022 per year to $624 per year. But, the average tuition is $6,802 per year. In 2010, the following California gerontology schools had the highest tuition rates:
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- Mount St. Mary's College - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $30,132 per year
- University of La Verne - located in La Verne, students are charged $29,800 per year
The lowest tuition rates at California gerontology schools were charged at the following schools:
- San Joaquin Delta College - located in Stockton, students are charged $624 per year
- Folsom Lake College - located in Folsom, students are charged $644 per year
- Sacramento City College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
A gerontology degree from a California school... what next?
The highest percentage of gerontology graduates in California pursue careers as a gerontologist. California had 24,260 gerontologists in 2010. The California counties with the largest populations of gerontologists are:
- San Diego County - 5,160 gerontologists
- Los Angeles County - 4,880 gerontologists
- Marin County - 3,670 gerontologists
The government projects that the number of gerontologists in California will grow by 46%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 38,500 gerontologists working in California.
A gerontologist in California earns $86,190 per year on average. However, this number is only an average. gerontologists in California had varying salaries from $37,230 to $146,320 per year in 2010. The following counties in California have the highest average salaries for gerontologists:
- San Benito County - $117,600 per year
- Alameda County - $95,090 per year
- Napa County - $93,640 per year
The following counties in California have the lowest average salaries for gerontologists:
- Los Angeles County - $70,020 per year
- Riverside County - $74,680 per year
- Orange County - $80,970 per year
For more data regarding a career in gerontology in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as nurse practitioning or gerontology, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Gerontology in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Gerontology in California
- Master's Degree in Gerontology in California
- Doctoral Degree in Gerontology in California
- Certificate in Gerontology in California
Curious what studying Gerontology gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Social and Human Service Assistants||33,740||$35,040||24.5%|
|Medical and Health Services Managers||27,300||$105,190||50.2%|
|Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists||24,260||$86,190||56.8%|
|Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners, All Other||2,260||$80,160||22.2%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are gerontology related jobs in California