There are schools offering music production programs in California!
Schools Offering Music Production Programs in California
The top-ranked school in California with a music production program is Cogswell Polytechnical College, which is located in Sunnyvale. In 2010, it was ranked 42nd nationwide. 2 students graduated with a degree in music production from Cogswell Polytechnical College in 2010. Students at Cogswell Polytechnical College paid $18,924 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in California that has a music production program is Loyola Marymount University. Loyola Marymount University, which was ranked 63rd in the country in 2010, is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, Loyola Marymount University graduated 12 students from its music production program. Students at Loyola Marymount University paid $36,622 per year in tuition fees.
Los Angeles Recording School, which is located in Los Angeles, is the third-ranked school in California that has a music production program. It received a ranking of 70th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 362 students graduated from Los Angeles Recording School music production program. Students at Los Angeles Recording School paid $0 per year in tuition fees.
Music production schools in California, charge students an average tuition of $3,782 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $36,622 per year, or as little as $644 per year. The California music production schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Loyola Marymount University - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $36,622 per year
- Cogswell Polytechnical College - located in Sunnyvale, students are charged $18,924 per year
- The Art Institute of California-Los Angeles - located in Santa Monica, students are charged $18,848 per year
The music production schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- American River College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Sacramento City College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Cypress College - located in Cypress, students are charged $656 per year
A music production degree from a California school... what next?
Most people who graduate from music production school in California go on to work as a music producer. If you decide to work as a music producer in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 2,290 California music producers as of 2010. In California, the largest numbers of music producers work in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 440 music producers
- Alameda County - 360 music producers
- San Diego County - 260 music producers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 5,700 music producers will be working in California state. This would require the number of music producers to grow by 5%.
On average, a music producer earns a salary of $69,690 per year in California state. But, salaries for music producers can vary. In 2010, music producers made as little as less than $22,380 per year or as much as more than $121,010 per year in California. A music producer in the following California counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- San Diego County - $109,400 per year
- Los Angeles County - $73,380 per year
- Marin County - $70,050 per year
A music producer in the following counties in California make the lowest salaries on average:
- San Joaquin County - $45,680 per year
- Ventura County - $54,240 per year
- Solano County - $56,400 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in music production and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as video production or music.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Music Production in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Music Production in California
- Certificate in Music Production in California
Curious what studying Music Production gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Producers and Directors||20,190||$126,360||49.9%|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||8,220||$49,110||16.6%|
|Sound Engineering Technicians||3,820||$68,730||15.1%|
|Music Directors and Composers||2,290||$69,690|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are music production related jobs in California