There are schools offering pastry programs in California!
Schools Offering Pastry Programs in California
The top-ranked school in California with a pastry program is Coast Career Institute, which is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, it was ranked 71st nationwide. 51 students graduated with a certificate in pastry from Coast Career Institute in 2010.
The Art Institute of California-San Diego, which is located in San Diego, is the second-ranked school in California that has a pastry program. It received a ranking of 72nd in the country in 2010. In 2010, 40 students graduated from The Art Institute of California-San Diego pastry program. The tuition rate at The Art Institute of California-San Diego was $18,748 per year.
The third-ranked school in California with a pastry program is California Culinary Academy, which is located in San Francisco. In 2010, it was ranked 73rd nationwide. In 2010, California Culinary Academy graduated 149 students from its pastry programs. The tuition rate at California Culinary Academy was $15,357 per year.
Tuition at California's pastry schools ranges from $22,593 per year to $15,357 per year. But, the average tuition is $13,159 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at California pastry schools were charged at the following schools:
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts - located in Pasadena, students are charged $22,593 per year
- The Art Institute of California-Los Angeles - located in Santa Monica, students are charged $18,848 per year
- The Art Institute of California-San Diego - located in San Diego, students are charged $18,748 per year
The pastry schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in California were:
- California Culinary Academy - located in San Francisco, students are charged $15,357 per year
- The Art Institute of California-Orange County - located in Santa Ana, students are charged $18,648 per year
- The Art Institute of California-Sacramento - located in Sacramento, students are charged $18,648 per year
A pastry certificate from a California school... what next?
A large number of California pastry graduates become pastry chefs. In 2010, there were 17,600 pastry chefs working in California. The following counties have the largest number of California pastry chefs:
- Los Angeles County - 5,900 pastry chefs
- Orange County - 1,710 pastry chefs
- Alameda County - 1,490 pastry chefs
The government projects that by 2018, the number of pastry chefs in the state of California will shrink to 21,400. This would require a 0% decline in the profession.
On average, pastry chefs earn $27,030 per year. However, California pastry chefs earned anywhere in the range from as less than $17,260 per year to more than $54,070 per year in 2010. On average a pastry chef earns the most in the following California counties:
- San Joaquin County - $33,640 per year
- Fresno County - $32,730 per year
- Marin County - $31,730 per year
A pastry chef in the following counties in California make the lowest salaries on average:
- Merced County - $22,000 per year
- Stanislaus County - $24,270 per year
- Orange County - $24,320 per year
For more data regarding a career in pastry in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as hospitality or culinary, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Pastry in California
- Certificate in Pastry in California
Curious what studying Pastry gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Chefs and Head Cooks||10,530||$48,610||-19.7%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are pastry related jobs in California