There are schools offering mental health programs in Florida!
Schools Offering Mental Health Programs in Florida
University of Miami, which was ranked 20th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in Florida that has a mental health program. It is located in Miami. 8 students graduated with a degree in mental health from University of Miami in 2010. Tuition at University of Miami was $37,836 per year.
The second-ranked school in Florida that has a mental health program is University of North Florida. University of North Florida, which was ranked 36th in the country in 2010, is located in Jacksonville. 5 students graduated with degree in mental health from University of North Florida in 2010. Tuition at University of North Florida was $4,909 per year.
The third-ranked school in Florida with a mental health program is University of Florida, which is located in Gainesville. In 2010, it was ranked 48th nationwide. In 2010, University of Florida graduated 46 students from its mental health programs. Tuition at University of Florida was $5,044 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Florida's mental health schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $8,420 per year, though tuition can range from $37,836 per year to $2,158 per year. The Florida mental health schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- University of Miami - located in Miami, students are charged $37,836 per year
- Stetson University - located in De Land, students are charged $33,424 per year
- Saint Thomas University - located in Opa Locka, students are charged $22,770 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Florida mental health schools were charged at the following schools:
- Palm Beach State College - located in Lake Worth, students are charged $2,158 per year
- College of Central Florida - located in Ocala, students are charged $2,190 per year
- Tallahassee Community College - located in Tallahassee, students are charged $2,214 per year
A mental health degree from a Florida school... what next?
A large number of Florida mental health graduates become mental health counselors. Florida had 4,790 mental health counselors in 2010. The largest populations of Florida mental health counselors are working in the following counties:
- Lake County - 670 mental health counselors
- Miami-Dade County - 640 mental health counselors
- Broward County - 630 mental health counselors
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of mental health counselors is expected to grow by 23% by 2018. There are projected to be 5,760 mental health counselors working in the Florida then.
A mental health counselor in Florida makes an average of $40,650 per year. However, this number is only an average. mental health counselors in Florida had varying salaries from $17,350 to $90,640 per year in 2010. On average a mental health counselor earns the most in the following Florida counties:
- Manatee County - $46,810 per year
- Miami-Dade County - $45,500 per year
- Alachua County - $45,360 per year
The following counties in Florida have the lowest average salaries for mental health counselors:
- Bay County - $33,800 per year
- Bradford County - $34,490 per year
- Escambia County - $35,530 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Florida statistics regarding a career in mental health. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as mental health or clinical psychology.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mental Health in Florida
- Master's Degree in Mental Health in Florida
- Doctoral Degree in Mental Health in Florida
- Certificate in Mental Health in Florida
Curious what studying Mental Health gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Florida
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||5,040||$35,590||-9.4%|
|Mental Health Counselors||4,790||$40,650||9.1%|
|Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors||3,470||$42,960||0.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mental health related jobs in Florida