There are schools offering culinary programs in Illinois!
Schools Offering Culinary Arts Programs in Illinois
The top-ranked school in Illinois that has a culinary program is Robert Morris University Illinois. Robert Morris University Illinois, which was ranked 76th in the country in 2010, is located in Chicago. 111 students graduated with a degree in culinary from Robert Morris University Illinois in 2010. Robert Morris University Illinois charged in-state students $20,100 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Illinois that has a culinary program is The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago. The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago, which was ranked 77th in the country in 2010, is located in Chicago. 115 students graduated with degree in culinary from The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago in 2010. The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago charged in-state students $18,066 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Illinois with a culinary program is Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Chicago, which is located in Chicago. In 2010, it was ranked 78th nationwide. 422 students graduated with degree in culinary from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Chicago in 2010. Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Chicago charged in-state students $20,375 in tuition fees per year.
Culinary schools in Illinois, charge students an average tuition of $6,049 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $20,375 per year, or as little as $2,194 per year. In 2010, the culinary schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Illinois were:
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Chicago - located in Chicago, students are charged $20,375 per year
- Robert Morris University Illinois - located in Chicago, students are charged $20,100 per year
- Kendall College - located in Chicago, students are charged $19,225 per year
The culinary schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Illinois were:
- Elgin Community College - located in Elgin, students are charged $2,194 per year
- Rend Lake College - located in Ina, students are charged $2,550 per year
- Southwestern Illinois College - located in Belleville, students are charged $2,604 per year
A culinary degree from an Illinois school... what next?
The highest percentage of culinary graduates in Illinois pursue careers as a chef. 4,940 chefs were working in Illinois in 2010. The Illinois counties with the largest populations of chefs are:
- Cook County - 3,670 chefs
- Lake County - 180 chefs
- Bureau County - 130 chefs
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of chefs is expected to grow by 5% by 2018. There are projected to be 6,400 chefs working in the Illinois then.
On average, a chef earns a salary of $37,560 per year in Illinois state. But, salaries for chefs can vary. In 2010, chefs made as little as less than $18,180 per year or as much as more than $95,000 per year in Illinois. On average a chef earns the most in the following Illinois counties:
- Edwards County - $51,500 per year
- Champaign County - $48,810 per year
- McLean County - $46,550 per year
A chef in the following counties in Illinois make the lowest salaries on average:
- Menard County - $27,810 per year
- Marshall County - $28,470 per year
- Clark County - $28,790 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Illinois statistics regarding a career in culinary arts. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as pastry or culinary.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Culinary Arts in Illinois
- Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts in Illinois
- Certificate in Culinary Arts in Illinois
Curious what studying Culinary gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Illinois
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Cooks, Fast Food||29,570||$19,090||-10.9%|
|Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria||14,430||$23,970||-6.6%|
|Cooks, Short Order||5,600||$21,090||-35.7%|
|Chefs and Head Cooks||4,940||$37,560||-27.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are culinary related jobs in Illinois