There are schools offering social work degrees in Iowa!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Iowa
The top-ranked school in Iowa that has a social work program is Luther College. Luther College, which was ranked 29th in the country in 2010, is located in Decorah. 13 students graduated with a degree in social work from Luther College in 2010. Students at Luther College paid $33,480 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in Iowa that has a social work program is Wartburg College. Wartburg College, which was ranked 35th in the country in 2010, is located in Waverly. 12 students graduated with degree in social work from Wartburg College in 2010. Tuition at Wartburg College was $29,020 per year.
The third-ranked school in Iowa that has a social work program is Dordt College. Dordt College, which was ranked 36th in the country in 2010, is located in Sioux Center. In 2010, Dordt College graduated 14 students from its social work programs. The tuition rate at Dordt College was $23,180 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Iowa's social work schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $18,368 per year, though tuition can range from $33,480 per year to $3,540 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Iowa social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Luther College - located in Decorah, students are charged $33,480 per year
- Wartburg College - located in Waverly, students are charged $29,020 per year
- Buena Vista University - located in Storm Lake, students are charged $26,306 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Iowa social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Kirkwood Community College - located in Cedar Rapids, students are charged $3,540 per year
- Des Moines Area Community College - located in Ankeny, students are charged $3,750 per year
- Iowa Central Community College - located in Fort Dodge, students are charged $3,990 per year
A social work degree from an Iowa school... what next?
Most people who graduate from social work school in Iowa go on to work as a social worker. If you decide to work as a social worker in Iowa, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 1,410 Iowa social workers as of 2010. In Iowa, the largest numbers of social workers work in the following counties:
- Dallas County - 330 social workers
- Appanoose County - 320 social workers
- Johnson County - 160 social workers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 1,990 social workers will be working in Iowa state. This would require the number of social workers to grow by 22%.
On average, social workers earn $43,970 per year. However, this number is only an average. social workers in Iowa had varying salaries from $22,570 to $72,100 per year in 2010. On average a social worker earns the most in the following Iowa counties:
- Woodbury County - $50,130 per year
- Johnson County - $46,760 per year
- Appanoose County - $44,180 per year
The Iowa counties with the lowest average salary for social workers are:
- Adair County - $36,460 per year
- Allamakee County - $39,830 per year
- Scott County - $41,850 per year
For more data regarding a career in social work in Iowa and to compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in Iowa
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Iowa
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Iowa
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Iowa
- Certificate in Social Work in Iowa
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||4,660||$39,040||43.8%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||1,750||$36,560|
|Healthcare Social Workers||1,410||$43,970||22.6%|
|Social Workers, All Other||530||$44,420||3.9%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Iowa