There are schools offering veterinary programs in Iowa!
Schools Offering Veterinary Medicine Programs in Iowa
Your Favorite Schools
Dordt College, which is located in Sioux Center, is the top-ranked school in Iowa that has a veterinary program. It received a ranking of 36th in the country in 2010. 4 students graduated with a degree in veterinary from Dordt College in 2010. Tuition at Dordt College was $23,180 per year.
Iowa State University, which was ranked 60th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Iowa that has a veterinary program. It is located in Ames. In 2010, 177 students graduated from Iowa State University veterinary program. The tuition rate at Iowa State University was $6,997 per year.
Des Moines Area Community College, which was ranked 60th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Iowa that has a veterinary program. It is located in Ankeny. 19 students graduated with degree in veterinary from Des Moines Area Community College in 2010. Students at Des Moines Area Community College paid $3,750 per year in tuition fees.
Tuition at Iowa's veterinary schools ranges from $23,180 per year to $3,204 per year. But, the average tuition is $6,490 per year. The Iowa veterinary schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Dordt College - located in Sioux Center, students are charged $23,180 per year
- Iowa State University - located in Ames, students are charged $6,997 per year
- Iowa Western Community College - located in Council Bluffs, students are charged $3,960 per year
The veterinary schools in Iowa that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Western Iowa Tech Community College - located in Sioux City, students are charged $3,204 per year
- Kirkwood Community College - located in Cedar Rapids, students are charged $3,540 per year
- Eastern Iowa Community College District - located in Davenport, students are charged $3,540 per year
A veterinary degree from an Iowa school... what next?
The highest percentage of veterinary graduates in Iowa pursue careers as a veterinarian. In 2010, there were 890 veterinarians working in Iowa. The Iowa counties with the largest populations of veterinarians are:
- Appanoose County - 190 veterinarians
- Dallas County - 170 veterinarians
- Scott County - 70 veterinarians
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 1,400 veterinarians will be working in Iowa state. This would require the number of veterinarians to grow by 26%.
A veterinarian in Iowa earns $70,510 per year on average. In 2010, however, some Iowa veterinarians earned as little as less than $22,630 per year or as much as more than $142,260 per year. A veterinarian in the following Iowa counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Black Hawk County - $112,820 per year
- Allamakee County - $91,540 per year
- Woodbury County - $80,220 per year
The Iowa counties with the lowest average salary for veterinarians are:
- Buena Vista County - $56,180 per year
- Adair County - $61,150 per year
- Dallas County - $61,570 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Iowa statistics regarding a career in veterinary medicine. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as veterinary or dog training.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Iowa
- Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Iowa
- Master's Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Iowa
- Certificate in Veterinary Medicine in Iowa
Want to study at your own time and pace?
Consider Online Schools as a great alternative flexible option to earn a degree!View Online Schools
Featured Online Schools
|Distance||School||City||State||Rating||Acceptance Rate||Student Population|
|6,411 miles from location||Iowa State University||Ames||IA||40.2518||42%||27,945|
|6,411 miles from location||Des Moines Area Community College||Ankeny||IA||20.0292||n/a||22,324|
|6,310 miles from location||Kirkwood Community College||Cedar Rapids||IA||15.8032||n/a||18,254|
|6,255 miles from location||Eastern Iowa Community College District||Davenport||IA||17.5378||n/a||8,480|
|6,344 miles from location||Hawkeye Community College||Waterloo||IA||19.0386||n/a||6,321|
|6,526 miles from location||Iowa Western Community College||Council Bluffs||IA||15.4504||n/a||6,100|
|6,548 miles from location||Western Iowa Tech Community College||Sioux City||IA||18.6955||n/a||5,829|
|6,536 miles from location||Dordt College||Sioux Center||IA||64.1148||43%||1,322|
Curious what studying Veterinary gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Nonfarm Animal Caretakers +||1,670||$20,170||119.7%|
|Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers +||780||$23,070||39.3%|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians +||520||$28,160||-8.8%|
|Animal Scientists +||40||$70,660|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are veterinary related jobs in Iowa