There are schools offering veterinary programs in Louisiana!
Schools Offering Veterinary Medicine Programs in Louisiana
Your Favorite Schools
Around 0.1% of Louisiana's graduates graduate from veterinary medicine degree programs every year. In other words, every year an estimated 145 veterinarians graduate from Louisiana's 6 veterinary schools.
The top-ranked school in Louisiana that has a veterinary program is Tulane University of Louisiana. Tulane University of Louisiana, which was ranked 18th in the country in 2010, is located in New Orleans. In 2010, Tulane University of Louisiana graduated 12 students from its veterinary program. Students at Tulane University of Louisiana paid $41,884 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in Louisiana with a veterinary program is Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College, which is located in Baton Rouge. In 2010, it was ranked 26th nationwide. 79 students graduated with degree in veterinary from Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College in 2010. Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College charged in-state students $5,764 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Louisiana that has a veterinary program is Louisiana Tech University. Louisiana Tech University, which was ranked 70th in the country in 2010, is located in Ruston. 19 students graduated with degree in veterinary from Louisiana Tech University in 2010. Tuition at Louisiana Tech University was $5,545 per year.
Veterinary schools in Louisiana, charge students an average tuition of $10,298 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $41,884 per year, or as little as $1,176 per year. The Louisiana veterinary schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Tulane University of Louisiana - located in New Orleans, students are charged $41,884 per year
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College - located in Baton Rouge, students are charged $5,764 per year
- Louisiana Tech University - located in Ruston, students are charged $5,545 per year
The veterinary schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Louisiana were:
- Northshore Technical College-Sullivan Main Campus - located in Bogalusa, students are charged $1,176 per year
- Delgado Community College - located in New Orleans, students are charged $2,955 per year
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana - located in Natchitoches, students are charged $4,461 per year
A veterinary degree from a Louisiana school... what next?
Most people who graduate from veterinary school in Louisiana go on to work as a veterinarian. In 2010, there were 560 veterinarians working in Louisiana. The largest populations of Louisiana veterinarians are working in the following counties:
- Jefferson Davis County - 210 veterinarians
- Acadia County - 40 veterinarians
- Calcasieu County - 40 veterinarians
The government projects that the number of veterinarians in Louisiana will grow by 24%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 820 veterinarians working in Louisiana.
A veterinarian in Louisiana earns $88,740 per year on average. But, salaries for veterinarians can vary. In 2010, veterinarians made as little as less than $34,480 per year or as much as more than $137,710 per year in Louisiana. The counties in Louisiana with the highest average salary for a veterinarian are:
- Lafayette County - $112,750 per year
- Calcasieu County - $102,140 per year
- Jefferson Davis County - $90,710 per year
A veterinarian in the following counties in Louisiana make the lowest salaries on average:
- Grant County - $73,860 per year
- Acadia County - $76,480 per year
- Ascension County - $83,710 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Louisiana statistics regarding a career in veterinary medicine. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as veterinary or dog training.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Louisiana
- Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Louisiana
- Master's Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Louisiana
- Doctoral Degree in Veterinary Medicine in Louisiana
- Certificate in Veterinary Medicine in Louisiana
Want to study at your own time and pace?
Consider Online Schools as a great alternative flexible option to earn a degree!View Online Schools
Featured Online Schools
|Distance||School||City||State||Rating||Acceptance Rate||Student Population|
|6,296 miles from location||Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College||Baton Rouge||LA||73.9386||46%||28,643|
|6,231 miles from location||Delgado Community College||New Orleans||LA||8.24463||n/a||16,758|
|6,232 miles from location||Tulane University of Louisiana||New Orleans||LA||81.6008||14%||11,464|
|6,379 miles from location||Louisiana Tech University||Ruston||LA||29.6827||51%||11,264|
|6,407 miles from location||Northwestern State University of Louisiana||Natchitoches||LA||24.0928||60%||9,247|
|6,216 miles from location||Northshore Technical College-Sullivan Main Campus||Bogalusa||LA||23.5699||n/a||1,911|
Curious what studying Veterinary gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Louisiana
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Nonfarm Animal Caretakers +||2,210||$22,460||44.4%|
|Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers +||1,120||$21,780||-11.8%|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians +||870||$28,970||107.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are veterinary related jobs in Louisiana