There are schools offering mental health programs in Massachusetts!
Schools Offering Mental Health Programs in Massachusetts
Approximately 0.1% of graduates in of Massachusetts receive mental health degrees every year. In other words, every year an estimated 139 mental health counselors graduate from Massachusetts' 10 mental health schools.
The top-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a mental health program is Fitchburg State University. Fitchburg State University, which was ranked 40th in the country in 2010, is located in Fitchburg. 9 students graduated with a degree in mental health from Fitchburg State University in 2010. Students at Fitchburg State University paid $7,800 per year in tuition fees.
Suffolk University, which was ranked 40th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a mental health program. It is located in Boston. 14 students graduated with degree in mental health from Suffolk University in 2010. Tuition at Suffolk University was $28,526 per year.
The third-ranked school in Massachusetts with a mental health program is Bridgewater State University, which is located in Bridgewater. In 2010, it was ranked 69th nationwide. In 2010, 13 students graduated from Bridgewater State University mental health program. Bridgewater State University charged in-state students $7,053 in tuition fees per year.
Mental health schools in Massachusetts, charge students an average tuition of $7,504 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $28,526 per year, or as little as $3,144 per year. In 2010, the following Massachusetts mental health schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Suffolk University - located in Boston, students are charged $28,526 per year
- University of Massachusetts-Boston - located in Boston, students are charged $10,611 per year
- Fitchburg State University - located in Fitchburg, students are charged $7,800 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Massachusetts mental health schools were charged at the following schools:
- Bunker Hill Community College - located in Charlestown, students are charged $3,144 per year
- Roxbury Community College - located in Boston, students are charged $3,192 per year
- Northern Essex Community College - located in Haverhill, students are charged $3,384 per year
A mental health degree from a Massachusetts school... what next?
Most people who graduate from mental health school in Massachusetts go on to work as a mental health counselor. Massachusetts had 5,140 mental health counselors in 2010. The largest populations of Massachusetts mental health counselors are working in the following counties:
- Bristol County - 2,280 mental health counselors
- Windham County - 660 mental health counselors
- Hartford County - 620 mental health counselors
The government projects that by 2018, the number of mental health counselors in the state of Massachusetts will grow to 5,980. This would require a 13% growth in the profession.
A mental health counselor in Massachusetts makes an average of $43,700 per year. But, salaries for mental health counselors can vary. In 2010, mental health counselors made as little as less than $22,610 per year or as much as more than $89,060 per year in Massachusetts. On average a mental health counselor earns the most in the following Massachusetts counties:
- Berkshire County - $58,590 per year
- Franklin County - $49,260 per year
- Windham County - $48,380 per year
The Massachusetts counties with the lowest average salary for mental health counselors are:
- Middlesex County - $38,470 per year
- Essex County - $38,905 per year
- Bristol County - $43,408 per year
For more data regarding a career in mental health in Massachusetts and to compare salaries with various related fields such as mental health or clinical psychology, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mental Health in Massachusetts
- Master's Degree in Mental Health in Massachusetts
- Certificate in Mental Health in Massachusetts
Curious what studying Mental Health gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Massachusetts
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Mental Health Counselors||5,140||$43,700||-1.0%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||4,990||$43,370||26.0%|
|Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors||3,100||$41,040||71.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mental health related jobs in Massachusetts