There are schools offering visual communications degrees in Michigan!
Schools Offering Visual Communications Programs in Michigan
Approximately 0.2% of graduates in of Michigan receive visual communications degrees every year. In other words, every year an estimated 644 visual communications professionals graduate from Michigan's 50 visual communications schools.
Michigan State University, which is located in East Lansing, is the top-ranked school in Michigan that has a visual communications program. It received a ranking of 16th in the country in 2010. 36 students graduated with a degree in visual communications from Michigan State University in 2010. The tuition rate at Michigan State University was $11,152 per year.
Michigan Technological University, which is located in Houghton, is the second-ranked school in Michigan that has a visual communications program. It received a ranking of 29th in the country in 2010. Students at Michigan Technological University paid $12,017 per year in tuition fees.
Alma College, which was ranked 29th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Michigan that has a visual communications program. It is located in Alma. The tuition rate at Alma College was $27,580 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Michigan's visual communications schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $10,032 per year, though tuition can range from $31,275 per year to $2,088 per year. In 2010, the following Michigan visual communications schools had the highest tuition rates:
- College for Creative Studies - located in Detroit, students are charged $31,275 per year
- University of Detroit Mercy - located in Detroit, students are charged $30,660 per year
- Alma College - located in Alma, students are charged $27,580 per year
The following Michigan visual communications schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Washtenaw Community College - located in Ann Arbor, students are charged $2,088 per year
- Henry Ford Community College - located in Dearborn, students are charged $2,104 per year
- Mid Michigan Community College - located in Harrison, students are charged $2,156 per year
A visual communications degree from a Michigan school... what next?
visual communications graduates in Michigan can go into a variety of professions such as video editor, audio visual technician, and artist. In 2010, there were 6,700 visual communications professional working in Michigan, including 4,850 graphic designers, 350 video editors, and 1,040 audio visual technicians. The following counties have the largest number of Michigan visual communications professionals:
- Lapeer County - 2,010 visual communications professionals
- Wayne County - 1,140 visual communications professionals
- Barry County - 800 visual communications professionals
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of visual communications professionals is expected to grow by 7% by 2018. There are projected to be 11,320 visual communications professionals working in Michigan then. Of these 11,320 visual communications professionals, the government predicts that 7,820 will be graphic designers, 560 will be video editors, and 1,520 will be audio visual technicians.
visual communications professionals in Michigan earn $49,630 per year on average. In 2010, however, some Michigan visual communications professional earned as little as less than $16,100 per year or as much as more than $126,190 per year. The counties in Michigan with the highest average salary for visual communications professionals are:
- Lapeer County - $52,217 per year
- Wayne County - $44,453 per year
- Antrim County - $44,205 per year
Visual communications professionals in the following counties in Michigan make the lowest salaries on average:
- Alger County - $31,300 per year
- Alcona County - $33,780 per year
- Kalamazoo County - $35,890 per year
On average, the highest paid visual communications professionals in Michigan were:
- Artist - $60,950 per year
- Video Editor - $54,130 per year
- Graphic Designer - $42,220 per year
The visual communications professionals with lowest average salaries in Michigan were:
- Graphic Designer - $42,220 per year
- Audio Visual Technician - $41,220 per year
For more data regarding a career in visual communications in Michigan and to compare salaries with various related fields such as visual communications or art, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Visual Communications in Michigan
- Bachelor's Degree in Visual Communications in Michigan
- Master's Degree in Visual Communications in Michigan
- Certificate in Visual Communications in Michigan
Curious what studying Visual Communications gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Michigan
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||1,040||$41,220||26.8%|
|Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators||460||$60,950|
|Film and Video Editors||350||$54,130||29.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are visual communications related jobs in Michigan