There are schools offering social work degrees in New Jersey!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in New Jersey
The top-ranked school in New Jersey that has a social work program is Rutgers University-New Brunswick. Rutgers University-New Brunswick, which was ranked 17th in the country in 2010, is located in New Brunswick. In 2010, Rutgers University-New Brunswick graduated 456 students from its social work program. Tuition at Rutgers University-New Brunswick was $12,582 per year.
The second-ranked school in New Jersey with a social work program is Ramapo College of New Jersey, which is located in Mahwah. In 2010, it was ranked 30th nationwide. 23 students graduated with degree in social work from Ramapo College of New Jersey in 2010. Students at Ramapo College of New Jersey paid $11,874 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in New Jersey that has a social work program is Montclair State University. Montclair State University, which was ranked 34th in the country in 2010, is located in Montclair. 71 students graduated with degree in social work from Montclair State University in 2010. The tuition rate at Montclair State University was $10,016 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of New Jersey's social work schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $11,697 per year, though tuition can range from $31,890 per year to $3,146 per year. In 2010, the following New Jersey social work schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Seton Hall University - located in South Orange, students are charged $31,890 per year
- Centenary College - located in Hackettstown, students are charged $28,054 per year
- Monmouth University - located in West Long Branch, students are charged $26,356 per year
The social work schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in New Jersey were:
- Ocean County College - located in Toms River, students are charged $3,146 per year
- Essex County College - located in Newark, students are charged $3,384 per year
- Brookdale Community College - located in Lincroft, students are charged $3,527 per year
A social work degree from a New Jersey school... what next?
Most people who graduate from social work school in New Jersey go on to work as a social worker. In 2010, there were 2,820 social workers working in New Jersey. The New Jersey counties with the largest populations of social workers are:
- Middlesex County - 830 social workers
- Essex County - 620 social workers
- Burlington County - 430 social workers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 3,400 social workers will be working in New Jersey state. This would require the number of social workers to grow by 13%.
A social worker in New Jersey earns $55,000 per year on average. In 2010, however, some New Jersey social workers earned as little as less than $23,630 per year or as much as more than $79,880 per year. A social worker in the following New Jersey counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Mercer County - $55,640 per year
- Middlesex County - $55,590 per year
- Essex County - $55,420 per year
The following counties in New Jersey have the lowest average salaries for social workers:
- Atlantic County - $52,040 per year
- Cumberland County - $53,440 per year
- Burlington County - $55,240 per year
For more data regarding a career in social work in New Jersey and to compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in New Jersey
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in New Jersey
- Master's Degree in Social Work in New Jersey
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in New Jersey
- Certificate in Social Work in New Jersey
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in New Jersey
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||8,200||$56,420||-0.6%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||2,820||$55,000||5.6%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||1,430||$57,230||-45.0%|
|Social Workers, All Other||680||$51,760|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in New Jersey