There are schools offering creative writing courses in North Carolina!
Schools Offering Creative Writing Programs in North Carolina
Around 0.1% of North Carolina's graduates graduate from creative writing degree programs every year. Thus, North Carolina's 8 creative writing schools put out approximately 156 creative writers each year.
The top-ranked school in North Carolina with a creative writing program is North Carolina State University at Raleigh, which is located in Raleigh. In 2010, it was ranked 20th nationwide. 4 students graduated with a degree in creative writing from North Carolina State University at Raleigh in 2010. Tuition at North Carolina State University at Raleigh was $6,529 per year.
The second-ranked school in North Carolina with a creative writing program is University of North Carolina-Wilmington, which is located in Wilmington. In 2010, it was ranked 28th nationwide. In 2010, University of North Carolina-Wilmington graduated 48 students from its creative writing program. Tuition at University of North Carolina-Wilmington was $5,322 per year.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro, which is located in Greensboro, is the third-ranked school in North Carolina that has a creative writing program. It received a ranking of 35th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 13 students graduated from University of North Carolina at Greensboro creative writing program. University of North Carolina at Greensboro charged in-state students $4,973 in tuition fees per year.
If you choose to attend a North Carolina creative writing school, average tuition will be $16,741 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $4,973 per year to $25,626 per year. In 2010, the following North Carolina creative writing schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Warren Wilson College - located in Swannanoa, students are charged $25,626 per year
- Methodist University - located in Fayetteville, students are charged $24,148 per year
- Queens University of Charlotte - located in Charlotte, students are charged $23,752 per year
The lowest tuition rates at North Carolina creative writing schools were charged at the following schools:
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro - located in Greensboro, students are charged $4,973 per year
- University of North Carolina-Wilmington - located in Wilmington, students are charged $5,322 per year
- North Carolina State University at Raleigh - located in Raleigh, students are charged $6,529 per year
A creative writing degree from a North Carolina school... what next?
Most people who graduate from creative writing school in North Carolina go on to work as a creative writer. 590 creative writers were working in North Carolina in 2010. The North Carolina counties with the largest populations of creative writers are:
- Franklin County - 130 creative writers
- Chatham County - 110 creative writers
- Anson County - 90 creative writers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of creative writers in the state of North Carolina will grow to 3,320. This would require a 16% growth in the profession.
On average, a creative writer earns a salary of $55,460 per year in North Carolina state. However, this number is only an average. creative writers in North Carolina had varying salaries from $15,870 to $123,240 per year in 2010. The counties in North Carolina with the highest average salary for a creative writer are:
- Franklin County - $64,690 per year
- Davie County - $62,420 per year
- Chatham County - $57,440 per year
The North Carolina counties with the lowest average salary for creative writers are:
- Anson County - $46,000 per year
- Guilford County - $55,100 per year
- Chatham County - $57,440 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional North Carolina statistics regarding a career in creative writing. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as communications or creative writing.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing in North Carolina
- Master's Degree in Creative Writing in North Carolina
Curious what studying Creative Writing gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in North Carolina
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Writers and Authors||590||$55,460||-23.4%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are creative writing related jobs in North Carolina