There are schools offering social work degrees in South Carolina!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in South Carolina
Approximately 0.8% of graduates in of South Carolina receive social work degrees every year. That means an estimated 783 social workers graduate from South Carolina's 17 social work schools each year.
The top-ranked school in South Carolina with a social work program is Winthrop University, which is located in Rock Hill. In 2010, it was ranked 36th nationwide. 55 students graduated with a degree in social work from Winthrop University in 2010. Students at Winthrop University paid $12,176 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in South Carolina that has a social work program is Columbia College. Columbia College, which was ranked 48th in the country in 2010, is located in Columbia. 6 students graduated with degree in social work from Columbia College in 2010. Tuition at Columbia College was $24,060 per year.
University of South Carolina-Columbia, which was ranked 48th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in South Carolina that has a social work program. It is located in Columbia. 218 students graduated with degree in social work from University of South Carolina-Columbia in 2010. Students at University of South Carolina-Columbia paid $9,786 per year in tuition fees.
Social work schools in South Carolina, charge students an average tuition of $8,577 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $24,060 per year, or as little as $2,594 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at South Carolina social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Columbia College - located in Columbia, students are charged $24,060 per year
- Coker College - located in Hartsville, students are charged $20,548 per year
- Limestone College - located in Gaffney, students are charged $19,200 per year
The lowest tuition rates at South Carolina social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Denmark Technical College - located in Denmark, students are charged $2,594 per year
- Williamsburg Technical College - located in Kingstree, students are charged $3,264 per year
- Florence-Darlington Technical College - located in Florence, students are charged $3,422 per year
A social work degree from a South Carolina school... what next?
The highest percentage of social work graduates in South Carolina pursue careers as a social worker. 2,110 social workers were working in South Carolina in 2010. In South Carolina, the largest numbers of social workers work in the following counties:
- Calhoun County - 620 social workers
- Berkeley County - 410 social workers
- Greenville County - 400 social workers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of social workers in the state of South Carolina will grow to 3,000. This would require a 17% growth in the profession.
A social worker in South Carolina earns $44,030 per year on average. But, salaries for social workers can vary. In 2010, social workers made as little as less than $23,160 per year or as much as more than $85,030 per year in South Carolina. The counties in South Carolina with the highest average salary for a social worker are:
- Berkeley County - $51,740 per year
- Spartanburg County - $48,990 per year
- Horry County - $47,560 per year
The following counties in South Carolina have the lowest average salaries for social workers:
- Greenville County - $39,660 per year
- Chesterfield County - $40,610 per year
- Allendale County - $40,940 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional South Carolina statistics regarding a career in social work and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in South Carolina
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in South Carolina
- Master's Degree in Social Work in South Carolina
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in South Carolina
- Certificate in Social Work in South Carolina
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in South Carolina
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||4,880||$32,530||-6.0%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||2,110||$44,030||1.9%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||1,120||$28,380||55.6%|
|Social Workers, All Other||630||$50,550||-52.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in South Carolina