There are schools offering social work degrees in Tennessee!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Tennessee
Vanderbilt University, which is located in Nashville, is the top-ranked school in Tennessee that has a social work program. It received a ranking of 11th in the country in 2010. 15 students graduated with a degree in social work from Vanderbilt University in 2010. Vanderbilt University charged in-state students $39,930 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Tennessee with a social work program is University of Memphis, which is located in Memphis. In 2010, it was ranked 40th nationwide. In 2010, 39 students graduated from University of Memphis social work program. University of Memphis charged in-state students $6,780 in tuition fees per year.
The University of Tennessee, which is located in Knoxville, is the third-ranked school in Tennessee that has a social work program. It received a ranking of 62nd in the country in 2010. In 2010, 224 students graduated from The University of Tennessee social work program. The University of Tennessee charged in-state students $7,382 in tuition fees per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Tennessee's social work schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $13,129 per year, though tuition can range from $39,930 per year to $3,057 per year. The Tennessee social work schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Vanderbilt University - located in Nashville, students are charged $39,930 per year
- Belmont University - located in Nashville, students are charged $23,680 per year
- Union University - located in Jackson, students are charged $22,390 per year
The social work schools in Tennessee that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Nashville State Community College - located in Nashville, students are charged $3,057 per year
- Chattanooga State Community College - located in Chattanooga, students are charged $3,290 per year
- Tennessee State University - located in Nashville, students are charged $5,704 per year
A social work degree from a Tennessee school... what next?
Most people who graduate from social work school in Tennessee go on to work as a social worker. 2,790 social workers were working in Tennessee in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of Tennessee social workers:
- Crittenden County - 820 social workers
- Cannon County - 730 social workers
- Anderson County - 420 social workers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of social workers in the state of Tennessee will grow to 3,210. This would require a 24% growth in the profession.
On average, social workers earn $46,370 per year. But, salaries for social workers can vary. In 2010, social workers made as little as less than $18,100 per year or as much as more than $69,880 per year in Tennessee. A social worker in the following Tennessee counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Crittenden County - $50,480 per year
- Cannon County - $49,030 per year
- Campbell County - $48,800 per year
A social worker in the following counties in Tennessee make the lowest salaries on average:
- Christian County - $31,610 per year
- Bledsoe County - $36,730 per year
- Hawkins County - $37,200 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Tennessee statistics regarding a career in social work and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in Tennessee
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Tennessee
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Tennessee
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Tennessee
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Tennessee
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||5,120||$35,540||0.6%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||2,790||$46,370||50.0%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||2,180||$35,070||-9.9%|
|Social Workers, All Other||710||$49,840||102.9%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Tennessee