There are schools offering elementary education degrees in Virginia!
Schools Offering Elementary Education Programs in Virginia
Around 0.2% of Virginia's graduates graduate from elementary education degree programs every year. In other words, every year an estimated 405 elementary educators graduate from Virginia's 12 elementary education schools.
University of Mary Washington, which is located in Fredericksburg, is the top-ranked school in Virginia that has a elementary education program. It received a ranking of 29th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 41 students graduated from University of Mary Washington's elementary education program. Students at University of Mary Washington paid $7,862 per year in tuition fees.
Shenandoah University, which was ranked 41st nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Virginia that has a elementary education program. It is located in Winchester. The tuition rate at Shenandoah University was $26,080 per year.
Marymount University, which was ranked 41st nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Virginia that has a elementary education program. It is located in Arlington. In 2010, 46 students graduated from Marymount University elementary education program. The tuition rate at Marymount University was $23,426 per year.
Tuition at Virginia's elementary education schools ranges from $28,556 per year to $6,214 per year. But, the average tuition is $18,956 per year. In 2010, the following Virginia elementary education schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Virginia Wesleyan College - located in Norfolk, students are charged $28,556 per year
- Shenandoah University - located in Winchester, students are charged $26,080 per year
- Mary Baldwin College - located in Staunton, students are charged $25,655 per year
The elementary education schools in Virginia that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Old Dominion University - located in Norfolk, students are charged $6,214 per year
- University of Mary Washington - located in Fredericksburg, students are charged $7,862 per year
- University of Phoenix-Richmond Campus - located in Richmond, students are charged $11,880 per year
An elementary education degree from a Virginia school... what next?
Most people who graduate from elementary education school in Virginia go on to work as an elementary educator. If you decide to work as an elementary educator in Virginia, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 38,700 Virginia elementary educators as of 2010. In Virginia, the largest numbers of elementary educators work in the following counties:
- Chesapeake County - 8,060 elementary educators
- Caroline County - 5,000 elementary educators
- Buchanan County - 1,850 elementary educators
The government projects that by 2018, the number of elementary educators in the state of Virginia will grow to 48,320. This would require a 23% growth in the profession.
An elementary educator in Virginia earns $60,390 per year on average. But, salaries for elementary educators can vary. In 2010, elementary educators made as little as less than $27,610 per year or as much as more than $88,740 per year in Virginia. On average an elementary educator earns the most in the following Virginia counties:
- Albemarle County - $58,930 per year
- Chesapeake County - $57,270 per year
- Buchanan County - $53,900 per year
The following counties in Virginia have the lowest average salaries for elementary educators:
- Brunswick County - $40,060 per year
- Amherst County - $43,080 per year
- Accomack County - $44,310 per year
For more data regarding a career in elementary education in Virginia and to compare salaries with various related fields such as ESL or early childhood education, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education in Virginia
- Master's Degree in Elementary Education in Virginia
Curious what studying Elementary Education gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education||38,700||$60,390||-0.7%|
|Special Education Teachers, Preschool, Kindergarten, and Elementary School||6,860||$64,230||1.2%|
|Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School||6,700||$88,250||11.7%|
|Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education||4,640||$55,370||11.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are elementary education related jobs in Virginia