There are schools offering social work degrees in Virginia!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Virginia
James Madison University, which is located in Harrisonburg, is the top-ranked school in Virginia that has a social work program. It received a ranking of 20th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 47 students graduated from James Madison University's social work program. Tuition at James Madison University was $7,860 per year.
Virginia Commonwealth University, which was ranked 32nd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Virginia that has a social work program. It is located in Richmond. In 2010, 293 students graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University social work program. Students at Virginia Commonwealth University paid $8,817 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in Virginia with a social work program is Eastern Mennonite University, which is located in Harrisonburg. In 2010, it was ranked 36th nationwide. In 2010, 11 students graduated from Eastern Mennonite University social work program. The tuition rate at Eastern Mennonite University was $25,200 per year.
Social work schools in Virginia, charge students an average tuition of $16,167 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $28,556 per year, or as little as $6,327 per year. In 2010, the following Virginia social work schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Virginia Wesleyan College - located in Norfolk, students are charged $28,556 per year
- Emory and Henry College - located in Emory, students are charged $26,000 per year
- Mary Baldwin College - located in Staunton, students are charged $25,655 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Virginia social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Norfolk State University - located in Norfolk, students are charged $6,327 per year
- Virginia State University - located in Petersburg, students are charged $6,570 per year
- Radford University - located in Radford, students are charged $7,694 per year
A social work degree from a Virginia school... what next?
The highest percentage of social work graduates in Virginia pursue careers as a social worker. 2,190 social workers were working in Virginia in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of Virginia social workers:
- Caroline County - 480 social workers
- Chesapeake County - 440 social workers
- Botetourt County - 180 social workers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 2,690 social workers will be working in Virginia state. This would require the number of social workers to grow by 26%.
A social worker in Virginia makes an average of $49,820 per year. However, Virginia social workers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $24,390 per year to more than $69,940 per year in 2010. The following counties in Virginia have the highest average salaries for social workers:
- Caroline County - $48,480 per year
- Chesapeake County - $48,460 per year
- Brunswick County - $47,160 per year
A social worker in the following counties in Virginia make the lowest salaries on average:
- Harrisonburg County - $41,350 per year
- Amherst County - $41,650 per year
- Buchanan County - $43,900 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Virginia statistics regarding a career in social work. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Virginia
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Virginia
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Virginia
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Virginia
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||8,430||$46,300||20.6%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||3,080||$46,470||4.4%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||2,190||$49,820||15.3%|
|Social Workers, All Other||760||$54,020||-29.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Virginia