Free tourism and hospitality courseware collections
To have a successful career in the tourism, recreation and hospitality industries, students need to have a well-rounded foundation in business, management, and industry-specific skills and experiences. These fields are built upon the values of customer service and high employee and product standards, making it necessary for professionals in tourism and hospitality to have excellent communication, negotiation, and decision-making skills, as well as the ability to work with a diverse group of individuals and lead teams. Tourism and hospitality programs introduce students to general management principles and then show them how to directly apply these concepts to the tourism and hospitality industries. Students learn appropriate methods, practices, standards and techniques established by the industry, making it easier for them to transition into a real-life job setting after graduation.
This collection of courses from the University of California - Irvine, University of Southern Queensland, MIT, and The Open University offer a very diverse range of related courses. Students will learn how to run a spa, teach scuba diving, understand the basics of the tourism industry, learn recreation management skills, and master valuable management techniques. Students or professionals thinking about making a career or major change may want to consider taking one of these classes before making the switch. They will get an overview of the industry in a free, flexible format that allows them to study while they continue working or studying in their regular fields.
- Spa Operations [UC - Irvine] - Students learn how to run a spa by considering design, operating procedures and more.
- Introduction to Tourism [University of Southern Queensland] - Learn all about the tourism system in this course, which explores the nature of tourism, hospitality, recreation management and more.
- SCUBA [MIT] - Students learn about scuba diving in this course, as well as becominh certified beginning SCUBA divers.
- Sailing [MIT] - Learn how to perform basic tasks on a sailboat in this class.
- Understanding Management [The Open University] - Learn basic management principles and techniques in this course.