Free distance education courseware collections
It makes sense for distance educators and distance education administrators to find helpful teaching resources online in a flexible format that allows them to work in the same way they plan to educate their students. There are many resources and classes available in an open courseware format designed for distance educators, including courses offered by The Open University and the Connexions network. From understanding new technology to designing interactive programs to making education as accessible as possible, these online classes help all types of distance educators remain cutting edge in the changing landscape of higher and professional education.
Skills learned in the following courses include developing globally minded programs that are relevant to students accessing distance education programs around the world; providing online learning access to students with disabilities; designing employee training programs in a corporate setting; learning how to communicate and actively engage students over the Internet; and motivating students and teachers to take part in the online education community. Universities that want to extend access to their quality educational resources and programs may want to explore distance education by experimenting with open courseware classes that teach computer skills in distance education applications, Internet communication skills, and unique curriculum design skills. Just as educators and institutions expect their students to learn in an online format, these classes allow distance education administrators the freedom to take courses conveniently over the Internet.
- Teach Global> [The Open University] - Distance educators need to understand how to design classes that are relevant for a globally minded, international student body.
- Accessibility of eLearning [The Open University - This course focuses on how elearning benefits students with disabilities, but it provides tips and insight for all types of distance education administrators and instructors.
- Utilizing Distance Education in Your Professional Development [Connexions] - Learn about the increase in distance education programs and their added benefits in this course.
- Creating Meaningful Online Discussions Connexions] - This course tackles the unique advantages and disadvantages instructors face when teaching over the Internet.
- Best Practices in Online Teaching [Connexions] - Teachers learn how to "encourage students to regulate their own learning" and make the most of an online teaching environment in this course.