Free nursing courseware collections
Nursing students and students thinking about pursuing a career in nursing can take classes online to learn new skills and introduce them to the field. Open courseware classes from schools like the College of Eastern Utah, the University of Massachusetts - Boston, The Open University and Tufts University all have nursing courses online that cover a variety of related topics and skills. For an introduction to nursing and health care, students can find classes that review medical terminology and techniques for diagnosing patients or identifying health conditions and risk factors. More specific nursing courses help nursing students with professional experience catch up academically. They will develop their critical thinking, communication and leadership skills and can prepare for an RN-BS program. Open courseware classes allow nursing students and health care professionals learn about the field without having to invest in a total career switch or expensive college program. Working nurses with lots of experience can also benefit from these classes and stay current in their field by learning about new health care policies, nursing regulations and health IT systems.
This collection of courses includes classes like Professional Issues in Nursing, Caring in Hospitals, Health Assessment and Promotion, and Microbiology, giving students a wide range of professional and scientific preparation in the field. Students will improve their general knowledge of medical terminology and the human body, as well as develop skills necessary for leading nursing teams and being a valuable asset to a health care facility.
- Medical Terminology [College of Eastern Utah] - Nursing students get a solid background in medical terminology in this course.
- Professional Issues in Nursing [UMass Boston] - This RN-BS course teaches critical thinking and writing skills, as well as nursing leadership.
- Health Assessment and Promotion [UMass Boston] - Nurses are trained to quickly diagnose and identify diseases and other health conditions.
- Caring in Hospitals [The Open University] - Nursing students learn what's it like to work in a hospital in this course.
- Microbiology [Tufts University] - Nurses learn the basics of microbiology and infections in this course.