There are schools offering medical assistant programs in Alabama!
Schools Offering Medical Assisting Programs in Alabama
Around 0.5% of Alabama's graduates graduate from medical assisting certificate programs every year. In other words, every year an estimated 696 medical assistants graduate from Alabama's 18 medical assistant schools.
Virginia College-Mobile, which was ranked 68th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in Alabama that has a medical assistant program. It is located in Mobile. In 2010, 39 students graduated from Virginia College-Mobile's medical assistant program. Tuition at Virginia College-Mobile was $14,125 per year.
University of Alabama at Birmingham, which was ranked 72nd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Alabama that has a medical assistant program. It is located in Birmingham. 35 students graduated with certificate in medical assistant from University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2010. University of Alabama at Birmingham charged in-state students $5,806 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Alabama with a medical assistant program is Virginia College-Birmingham, which is located in Birmingham. In 2010, it was ranked 73rd nationwide. Tuition at Virginia College-Birmingham was $16,500 per year.
If you choose to attend a Alabama medical assistant school, average tuition will be $7,713 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $3,270 per year to $16,500 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Alabama medical assistant schools were charged at the following schools:
- Virginia College-Birmingham - located in Birmingham, students are charged $16,500 per year
- South University-Montgomery - located in Montgomery, students are charged $15,285 per year
- Remington College-Mobile Campus - located in Mobile, students are charged $14,745 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Alabama medical assistant schools were charged at the following schools:
- H Councill Trenholm State Technical College - located in Montgomery, students are charged $3,270 per year
- George C Wallace Community College-Dothan - located in Dothan, students are charged $3,270 per year
- Northeast Alabama Community College - located in Rainsville, students are charged $3,420 per year
A medical assistant certificate from an Alabama school... what next?
A large number of Alabama medical assistant graduates become medical assistants. In 2010, there were 6,840 medical assistants working in Alabama. The following counties have the largest number of Alabama medical assistants:
- Bibb County - 1,780 medical assistants
- Mobile County - 730 medical assistants
- Autauga County - 680 medical assistants
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 8,150 medical assistants will be working in Alabama state. This would require the number of medical assistants to grow by 26%.
On average, a medical assistant earns a salary of $24,540 per year in Alabama state. However, this number is only an average. medical assistants in Alabama had varying salaries from $15,980 to $36,450 per year in 2010. The following counties in Alabama have the highest average salaries for medical assistants:
- Lee County - $26,830 per year
- Bibb County - $26,050 per year
- Limestone County - $25,880 per year
The Alabama counties with the lowest average salary for medical assistants are:
- Chambers County - $21,770 per year
- Colbert County - $22,100 per year
- Mobile County - $22,670 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Alabama statistics regarding a career in medical assisting and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as physical therapy assisting or medical assisting.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting in Alabama
- Master's Degree in Medical Assisting in Alabama
- Certificate in Medical Assisting in Alabama
Curious what studying Medical Assistant gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Alabama
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical assistant related jobs in Alabama