There are schools offering social work degrees in Alabama!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Alabama
The top-ranked school in Alabama that has a social work program is Auburn University. Auburn University, which was ranked 25th in the country in 2010, is located in Auburn University. 19 students graduated with a degree in social work from Auburn University in 2010. Tuition at Auburn University was $7,900 per year.
Tuskegee University, which was ranked 49th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Alabama that has a social work program. It is located in Tuskegee Institute. In 2010, Tuskegee University graduated 16 students from its social work program. Tuition at Tuskegee University was $16,750 per year.
The third-ranked school in Alabama that has a social work program is Alabama A & M University. Alabama A & M University, which was ranked 51st in the country in 2010, is located in Normal. 67 students graduated with degree in social work from Alabama A & M University in 2010. The tuition rate at Alabama A & M University was $5,800 per year.
Social work schools in Alabama, charge students an average tuition of $7,522 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $16,750 per year, or as little as $3,570 per year. In 2010, the following Alabama social work schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Tuskegee University - located in Tuskegee Institute, students are charged $16,750 per year
- Oakwood University - located in Huntsville, students are charged $14,250 per year
- Talladega College - located in Talladega, students are charged $11,111 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Alabama social work schools were charged at the following schools:
- Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus - located in Birmingham, students are charged $3,570 per year
- Jacksonville State University - located in Jacksonville, students are charged $5,424 per year
- University of North Alabama - located in Florence, students are charged $5,426 per year
A social work degree from an Alabama school... what next?
The highest percentage of social work graduates in Alabama pursue careers as a social worker. 2,240 social workers were working in Alabama in 2010. In Alabama, the largest numbers of social workers work in the following counties:
- Bibb County - 540 social workers
- Autauga County - 220 social workers
- Baldwin County - 210 social workers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of social workers in the state of Alabama will grow to 3,000. This would require a 28% growth in the profession.
A social worker in Alabama earns $41,800 per year on average. However, Alabama social workers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $24,970 per year to more than $65,700 per year in 2010. A social worker in the following Alabama counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Chambers County - $45,700 per year
- Etowah County - $44,220 per year
- Bullock County - $43,790 per year
On average, social workers earns the least in the following Alabama counties:
- Colbert County - $38,360 per year
- Cullman County - $39,270 per year
- Geneva County - $39,290 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Alabama statistics regarding a career in social work and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in Alabama
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Alabama
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Alabama
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Alabama
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Alabama
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||3,680||$41,800||66.5%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||2,240||$41,800||-18.5%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||1,050||$32,870||-5.4%|
|Social Workers, All Other||480||$45,310||17.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Alabama