There are schools offering art classes in California!
Schools Offering Art Programs in California
The top-ranked school in California that has a art program is Stanford University. Stanford University, which was ranked 2nd in the country in 2010, is located in Stanford. 25 students graduated with a degree in art from Stanford University in 2010. Stanford University charged in-state students $40,172 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in California that has a art program is University of California-Berkeley. University of California-Berkeley, which was ranked 5th in the country in 2010, is located in Berkeley. 155 students graduated with degree in art from University of California-Berkeley in 2010. Tuition at University of California-Berkeley was $10,940 per year.
The third-ranked school in California that has a art program is University of California-Los Angeles. University of California-Los Angeles, which was ranked 5th in the country in 2010, is located in Los Angeles. 275 students graduated with degree in art from University of California-Los Angeles in 2010. Students at University of California-Los Angeles paid $10,781 per year in tuition fees.
Tuition at California's art schools ranges from $41,130 per year to $624 per year. But, the average tuition is $9,761 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at California art schools were charged at the following schools:
- Pitzer College - located in Claremont, students are charged $41,130 per year
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- Occidental College - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $40,939 per year
The art schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- San Joaquin Delta College - located in Stockton, students are charged $624 per year
- West Hills College Lemoore - located in Lemoore, students are charged $624 per year
- West Hills College Coalinga - located in Coalinga, students are charged $624 per year
An art degree from a California school... what next?
Most people who graduate from art school in California go on to work as an artist. If you decide to work as an artist in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 3,280 California artists as of 2010. In California, the largest numbers of artists work in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 2,210 artists
- Marin County - 160 artists
- Orange County - 100 artists
The government projects that the number of artists in California will grow by 5%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 4,000 artists working in California.
An artist in California earns $66,270 per year on average. But, salaries for artists can vary. In 2010, artists made as little as less than $25,870 per year or as much as more than $118,890 per year in California. The counties in California with the highest average salary for an artist are:
- San Benito County - $81,770 per year
- Marin County - $70,220 per year
- Los Angeles County - $68,800 per year
On average, artists earns the least in the following California counties:
- Sonoma County - $31,910 per year
- Orange County - $56,400 per year
- Alameda County - $62,950 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional California statistics regarding a career in art. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as animation or art.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Art in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Art in California
- Master's Degree in Art in California
- Doctoral Degree in Art in California
- Certificate in Art in California
Curious what studying Art gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Multimedia Artists and Animators||8,440||$74,560||29.2%|
|Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators||3,280||$66,270||175.6%|
|Artists and Related Workers, All Other||890||$61,750||128.2%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are art related jobs in California