There are schools offering automotive training in California!
Schools Offering Automotive Repair Programs in California
Each year, roughly 0.7% of California students graduate with certificates in automotive repair. In other words, every year an estimated 6,055 automotive mechanics graduate from California's 85 automotive schools.
Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center, which was ranked 66th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in California that has a automotive program. It is located in Sacramento. In 2010, Charles A. Jones Skills and Business Education Center graduated 139 students from its automotive program.
The second-ranked school in California with a automotive program is Wyotech-Fremont, which is located in Fremont. In 2010, it was ranked 68th nationwide. In 2010, Wyotech-Fremont graduated 540 students from its automotive program. The tuition rate at Wyotech-Fremont was $16,099 per year.
Pomona Unified School District Adult and Career Education, which was ranked 68th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in California that has a automotive program. It is located in Pomona. In 2010, 3 students graduated from Pomona Unified School District Adult and Career Education automotive program. Pomona Unified School District Adult and Career Education charged in-state students $0 in tuition fees per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of California's automotive schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $1,011 per year, though tuition can range from $17,407 per year to $624 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at California automotive schools were charged at the following schools:
- Wyotech-Long Beach - located in Long Beach, students are charged $17,407 per year
- Wyotech-Fremont - located in Fremont, students are charged $16,099 per year
- De Anza College - located in Cupertino, students are charged $878 per year
The following California automotive schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- San Joaquin Delta College - located in Stockton, students are charged $624 per year
- Barstow Community College - located in Barstow, students are charged $624 per year
- Copper Mountain Community College - located in Joshua Tree, students are charged $625 per year
An automotive certificate from a California school... what next?
A large number of California automotive graduates become automotive mechanics. If you decide to work as an automotive mechanic in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 54,880 California automotive mechanics as of 2010. The largest populations of California automotive mechanics are working in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 13,840 automotive mechanics
- Riverside County - 5,100 automotive mechanics
- Orange County - 4,910 automotive mechanics
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of automotive mechanics is expected to grow by 7% by 2018. There are projected to be 81,000 automotive mechanics working in the California then.
On average, automotive mechanics earn $42,690 per year. However, this number is only an average. automotive mechanics in California had varying salaries from $20,740 to $79,170 per year in 2010. The following counties in California have the highest average salaries for automotive mechanics:
- San Benito County - $51,440 per year
- Alameda County - $50,980 per year
- Marin County - $47,930 per year
On average, automotive mechanics earns the least in the following California counties:
- Merced County - $35,480 per year
- Fresno County - $37,000 per year
- Del Norte County - $37,660 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in automotive repair and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as automotive or plumbing.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Automotive Repair in California
- Certificate in Automotive Repair in California
Curious what studying Automotive gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics||54,880||$42,690||-21.3%|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||16,990||$48,330||-32.8%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are automotive related jobs in California