There are schools offering creative writing courses in California!
Schools Offering Creative Writing Programs in California
University of Southern California, which is located in Los Angeles, is the top-ranked school in California that has a creative writing program. It received a ranking of 7th in the country in 2010. 98 students graduated with a degree in creative writing from University of Southern California in 2010. Tuition at University of Southern California was $41,022 per year.
The second-ranked school in California that has a creative writing program is University of California-Irvine. University of California-Irvine, which was ranked 17th in the country in 2010, is located in Irvine. In 2010, 14 students graduated from University of California-Irvine creative writing program. Tuition at University of California-Irvine was $11,232 per year.
The third-ranked school in California that has a creative writing program is Pepperdine University. Pepperdine University, which was ranked 24th in the country in 2010, is located in Malibu. 7 students graduated with degree in creative writing from Pepperdine University in 2010. Pepperdine University charged in-state students $39,080 in tuition fees per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of California's creative writing schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $20,119 per year, though tuition can range from $41,130 per year to $762 per year. In 2010, the following California creative writing schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Pitzer College - located in Claremont, students are charged $41,130 per year
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- Pepperdine University - located in Malibu, students are charged $39,080 per year
The following California creative writing schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- College of the Desert - located in Palm Desert, students are charged $762 per year
- Berkeley City College - located in Berkeley, students are charged $766 per year
- Long Beach City College - located in Long Beach, students are charged $802 per year
A creative writing degree from a California school... what next?
A large number of California creative writing graduates become creative writers. In 2010, there were 6,060 creative writers working in California. In California, the largest numbers of creative writers work in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 3,530 creative writers
- Marin County - 690 creative writers
- San Benito County - 260 creative writers
The government projects that the number of creative writers in California will grow by 9%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 24,800 creative writers working in California.
A creative writer in California makes an average of $85,170 per year. In 2010, however, some California creative writers earned as little as less than $26,500 per year or as much as more than $165,590 per year. The counties in California with the highest average salary for a creative writer are:
- Los Angeles County - $100,060 per year
- Santa Barbara County - $98,440 per year
- Ventura County - $85,090 per year
A creative writer in the following counties in California make the lowest salaries on average:
- Sonoma County - $52,900 per year
- Riverside County - $52,910 per year
- Fresno County - $56,520 per year
For more data regarding a career in creative writing in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as communications or creative writing, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Creative Writing in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing in California
- Master's Degree in Creative Writing in California
- Certificate in Creative Writing in California
Curious what studying Creative Writing gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Writers and Authors||6,060||$85,170||25.2%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are creative writing related jobs in California