There are schools offering homeland security degrees in California!
Schools Offering Homeland Security Programs in California
Approximately 0.1% of graduates in of California receive homeland security degrees every year. That means an estimated 1,073 homeland security professionals graduate from California's 17 homeland security schools each year.
California State University-Long Beach, which was ranked 59th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in California that has a homeland security program. It is located in Long Beach. 104 students graduated with a degree in homeland security from California State University-Long Beach in 2010. Students at California State University-Long Beach paid $4,810 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in California with a homeland security program is Coast Career Institute, which is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, it was ranked 71st nationwide. In 2010, 427 students graduated from Coast Career Institute homeland security program.
The third-ranked school in California with a homeland security program is ICDC College, which is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, it was ranked 72nd nationwide. In 2010, ICDC College graduated 179 students from its homeland security programs. Tuition at ICDC College was $0 per year.
Homeland security schools in California, charge students an average tuition of $4,412 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $13,418 per year, or as little as $644 per year. The California homeland security schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- San Joaquin Valley College-Bakersfield - located in Bakersfield, students are charged $13,418 per year
- University of Phoenix-Central Valley Campus - located in Fresno, students are charged $12,660 per year
- University of Phoenix-Sacramento Valley Campus - located in Sacramento, students are charged $12,660 per year
The homeland security schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Sacramento City College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Coastline Community College - located in Fountain Valley, students are charged $656 per year
- Contra Costa College - located in San Pablo, students are charged $738 per year
A homeland security degree from a California school... what next?
Many California homeland security graduates become a fbi special agent, security officer, radio electronics officer, and geospatial intelligence analyst. If you decide to work as a homeland security professional in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 163,260 California homeland security professional as of 2010. This number includes 16,270 transportation security officers, 12,720 fbi special agents, and 131,780 security officers. In California, the largest numbers of homeland security professional work in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 55,460 homeland security professionals
- Riverside County - 15,680 homeland security professionals
- San Diego County - 13,480 homeland security professionals
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts by 2018, an estimated 201,400 homeland security professionals will be working in California. This would require the number of homeland security professional to grow by 12%.
homeland security professionals in California earn $62,648 per year on average. However, California homeland security professional earned anywhere in the range from as less than $17,200 per year to more than $155,080 per year in 2010. The counties in California with the highest average salary for homeland security professionals are:
- San Benito County - $78,225 per year
- Alameda County - $68,273 per year
- Orange County - $63,103 per year
On average, homeland security professionals earn the least in the following California counties:
- Merced County - $22,680 per year
- Fresno County - $25,270 per year
- Sutter County - $26,965 per year
On average, the highest paid homeland security professionals in California were:
- Geospatial Intelligence Analyst - $103,780 per year
- Fbi Special Agent - $90,150 per year
- Radio Electronics Officer - $56,070 per year
The homeland security professionals with lowest average salaries in California were:
- Transportation Security Officer - $36,450 per year
- Security Officer - $26,790 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in homeland security and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as crime scene investigation or homeland security.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Homeland Security in California
- Master's Degree in Homeland Security in California
- Doctoral Degree in Homeland Security in California
- Certificate in Homeland Security in California
Curious what studying Homeland Security gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Protective Service Workers, All Other||16,270||$36,450||-36.2%|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||12,720||$90,150||45.2%|
|Physical Scientists, All Other||2,370||$103,780||-22.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are homeland security related jobs in California