There are schools offering industrial design programs in California!
Schools Offering Industrial Design Programs in California
Each year, approximately 0.0% of California graduates receive degrees in industrial design. That means an estimated 284 industrial designers graduate from California's 10 industrial design schools each year.
Stanford University, which is located in Stanford, is the top-ranked school in California that has a industrial design program. It received a ranking of 2nd in the country in 2010. 3 students graduated with a degree in industrial design from Stanford University in 2010. Students at Stanford University paid $40,172 per year in tuition fees.
Otis College of Art and Design, which was ranked 41st nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in California that has a industrial design program. It is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, 24 students graduated from Otis College of Art and Design industrial design program. Tuition at Otis College of Art and Design was $32,900 per year.
California State University-Long Beach, which is located in Long Beach, is the third-ranked school in California that has a industrial design program. It received a ranking of 59th in the country in 2010. 30 students graduated with degree in industrial design from California State University-Long Beach in 2010. California State University-Long Beach charged in-state students $4,810 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at California's industrial design schools ranges from $40,172 per year to $4,810 per year. But, the average tuition is $21,115 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at California industrial design schools were charged at the following schools:
- Stanford University - located in Stanford, students are charged $40,172 per year
- California College of the Arts - located in Oakland, students are charged $35,222 per year
- Otis College of Art and Design - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $32,900 per year
The industrial design schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- California State University-Long Beach - located in Long Beach, students are charged $4,810 per year
- San Francisco State University - located in San Francisco, students are charged $5,014 per year
- San Jose State University - located in San Jose, students are charged $5,370 per year
An industrial design degree from a California school... what next?
The highest percentage of industrial design graduates in California pursue careers as an industrial designer. If you decide to work as an industrial designer in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 2,770 California industrial designers as of 2010. The largest populations of California industrial designers are working in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 860 industrial designers
- Orange County - 490 industrial designers
- Marin County - 280 industrial designers
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of industrial designers is expected to grow by 7% by 2018. There are projected to be 4,400 industrial designers working in the California then.
An industrial designer in California earns $65,940 per year on average. In 2010, however, some California industrial designers earned as little as less than $29,760 per year or as much as more than $143,790 per year. The counties in California with the highest average salary for an industrial designer are:
- San Benito County - $77,140 per year
- Ventura County - $76,160 per year
- Orange County - $73,520 per year
The California counties with the lowest average salary for industrial designers are:
- Riverside County - $59,170 per year
- San Diego County - $60,340 per year
- Alameda County - $62,170 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in industrial design and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as graphic design or design.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Industrial Design in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design in California
- Master's Degree in Industrial Design in California
Curious what studying Industrial Design gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Commercial and Industrial Designers||2,770||$65,940||-17.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are industrial design related jobs in California