There are schools offering medical coding classess in California!
Schools Offering Medical Coding Programs in California
Around 0.2% of California's graduates graduate from medical coding certificate programs every year. That means an estimated 2,169 medical coders graduate from California's 44 medical coding schools each year.
The top-ranked school in California that has a medical coding program is TechSkills of Sacramento. TechSkills of Sacramento, which was ranked 62nd in the country in 2010, is located in Sacramento. 36 students graduated with a certificate in medical coding from TechSkills of Sacramento in 2010.
Concorde Career Colleges, which is located in San Diego, is the second-ranked school in California that has a medical coding program. It received a ranking of 63rd in the country in 2010. 123 students graduated with certificate in medical coding from Concorde Career Colleges in 2010.
The third-ranked school in California that has a medical coding program is Everest College-Reseda. Everest College-Reseda, which was ranked 64th in the country in 2010, is located in Reseda. In 2010, Everest College-Reseda graduated 86 students from its medical coding programs. Students at Everest College-Reseda paid $16,853 per year in tuition fees.
Medical coding schools in California, charge students an average tuition of $5,001 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $16,853 per year, or as little as $644 per year. The California medical coding schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Everest College-Reseda - located in Reseda, students are charged $16,853 per year
- Everest College-Gardena - located in Gardena, students are charged $15,660 per year
- Everest College-Ontario - located in Ontario, students are charged $15,404 per year
The lowest tuition rates at California medical coding schools were charged at the following schools:
- Cosumnes River College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Cypress College - located in Cypress, students are charged $656 per year
- Mendocino College - located in Ukiah, students are charged $666 per year
A medical coding certificate from a California school... what next?
The highest percentage of medical coding graduates in California pursue careers as a medical coder. 17,340 medical coders were working in California in 2010. The California counties with the largest populations of medical coders are:
- Los Angeles County - 5,190 medical coders
- Riverside County - 1,660 medical coders
- San Diego County - 1,650 medical coders
The government projects that by 2018, the number of medical coders in the state of California will grow to 18,400. This would require a 21% growth in the profession.
On average, a medical coder earns a salary of $39,520 per year in California state. However, this number is only an average. medical coders in California had varying salaries from $19,900 to $66,590 per year in 2010. The counties in California with the highest average salary for a medical coder are:
- San Benito County - $46,850 per year
- Monterey County - $43,890 per year
- Napa County - $43,670 per year
A medical coder in the following counties in California make the lowest salaries on average:
- Del Norte County - $29,820 per year
- Shasta County - $30,590 per year
- Stanislaus County - $32,990 per year
For more data regarding a career in medical coding in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as administrative assisting or health information management, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Coding in California
- Certificate in Medical Coding in California
Curious what studying Medical Coding gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||17,340||$39,520||23.4%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical coding related jobs in California