There are schools offering mental health programs in California!
Schools Offering Mental Health Programs in California
Approximately 0.1% of graduates in of California receive mental health degrees every year. That means an estimated 961 mental health counselors graduate from California's 19 mental health schools each year.
Santa Rosa Junior College, which is located in Santa Rosa, is the top-ranked school in California that has a mental health program. It received a ranking of 80th in the country in 2010. 12 students graduated with a degree in mental health from Santa Rosa Junior College in 2010. Students at Santa Rosa Junior College paid $742 per year in tuition fees.
Mt. San Antonio College, which was ranked 81st nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in California that has a mental health program. It is located in Walnut. 18 students graduated with degree in mental health from Mt. San Antonio College in 2010. Mt. San Antonio College charged in-state students $680 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in California that has a mental health program is San Joaquin Delta College. San Joaquin Delta College, which was ranked 83rd in the country in 2010, is located in Stockton. In 2010, San Joaquin Delta College graduated 12 students from its mental health programs. Students at San Joaquin Delta College paid $624 per year in tuition fees.
Tuition at California's mental health schools ranges from $19,812 per year to $624 per year. But, the average tuition is $5,939 per year. In 2010, the mental health schools that charged the highest tuition rates in California were:
- Argosy University-San Francisco Bay Area - located in Alameda, students are charged $19,812 per year
- Argosy University-San Diego - located in San Diego, students are charged $19,812 per year
- Argosy University-Inland Empire - located in San Bernardino, students are charged $19,812 per year
The mental health schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in California were:
- West Hills College Coalinga - located in Coalinga, students are charged $624 per year
- San Joaquin Delta College - located in Stockton, students are charged $624 per year
- Cypress College - located in Cypress, students are charged $656 per year
A mental health degree from a California school... what next?
Most people who graduate from mental health school in California go on to work as a mental health counselor. If you decide to work as a mental health counselor in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 8,450 California mental health counselors as of 2010. The largest populations of California mental health counselors are working in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 1,920 mental health counselors
- Alameda County - 1,170 mental health counselors
- Marin County - 820 mental health counselors
The government projects that the number of mental health counselors in California will grow by 16%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 11,600 mental health counselors working in California.
On average, a mental health counselor earns a salary of $47,070 per year in California state. In 2010, however, some California mental health counselors earned as little as less than $19,410 per year or as much as more than $116,520 per year. On average a mental health counselor earns the most in the following California counties:
- Kern County - $55,270 per year
- Tulare County - $53,910 per year
- Marin County - $53,640 per year
A mental health counselor in the following counties in California make the lowest salaries on average:
- Lassen County - $29,990 per year
- Shasta County - $33,860 per year
- Napa County - $34,180 per year
For more data regarding a career in mental health in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as mental health or clinical psychology, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mental Health in California
- Master's Degree in Mental Health in California
- Certificate in Mental Health in California
Curious what studying Mental Health gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||10,650||$47,550||-9.5%|
|Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors||8,850||$36,040||-3.0%|
|Mental Health Counselors||8,450||$47,070||-29.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mental health related jobs in California