There are schools offering occupational therapy programs in California!
Schools Offering Occupational Therapy Programs in California
Each year, approximately 0.1% of California graduates receive degrees in occupational therapy. In other words, every year an estimated 490 occupational therapists graduate from California's 10 occupational therapy schools.
University of Southern California, which was ranked 7th nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in California that has a occupational therapy program. It is located in Los Angeles. 157 students graduated with a degree in occupational therapy from University of Southern California in 2010. The tuition rate at University of Southern California was $41,022 per year.
The second-ranked school in California with a occupational therapy program is Dominican University of California, which is located in San Rafael. In 2010, it was ranked 44th nationwide. In 2010, 24 students graduated from Dominican University of California occupational therapy program. Tuition at Dominican University of California was $35,550 per year.
The third-ranked school in California with a occupational therapy program is San Jose State University, which is located in San Jose. In 2010, it was ranked 67th nationwide. In 2010, 118 students graduated from San Jose State University occupational therapy program. San Jose State University charged in-state students $5,370 in tuition fees per year.
Occupational therapy schools in California, charge students an average tuition of $8,958 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $41,022 per year, or as little as $644 per year. In 2010, the following California occupational therapy schools had the highest tuition rates:
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- Dominican University of California - located in San Rafael, students are charged $35,550 per year
- San Jose State University - located in San Jose, students are charged $5,370 per year
The lowest tuition rates at California occupational therapy schools were charged at the following schools:
- Sacramento City College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Santa Ana College - located in Santa Ana, students are charged $658 per year
- Monterey Peninsula College - located in Monterey, students are charged $678 per year
An occupational therapy degree from a California school... what next?
A large number of California occupational therapy graduates become occupational therapists. In 2010, there were 8,130 occupational therapists working in California. The largest populations of California occupational therapists are working in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 2,320 occupational therapists
- Orange County - 1,060 occupational therapists
- San Diego County - 910 occupational therapists
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 10,200 occupational therapists will be working in California state. This would require the number of occupational therapists to grow by 25%.
An occupational therapist in California earns $84,320 per year on average. However, California occupational therapists earned anywhere in the range from as less than $33,820 per year to more than $130,890 per year in 2010. The counties in California with the highest average salary for an occupational therapist are:
- Alameda County - $88,840 per year
- San Joaquin County - $88,640 per year
- Tulare County - $88,360 per year
The following counties in California have the lowest average salaries for occupational therapists:
- Stanislaus County - $68,280 per year
- Sonoma County - $74,990 per year
- Orange County - $80,230 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in occupational therapy and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as clinical psychology or occupational therapy.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Occupational Therapy in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy in California
- Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy in California
- Doctoral Degree in Occupational Therapy in California
Curious what studying Occupational Therapy gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Occupational Therapy Assistants||2,030||$60,090||62.4%|
|Occupational Therapy Aides||790||$32,440||-1.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are occupational therapy related jobs in California