There are schools offering social work degrees in California!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in California
Around 0.3% of California's graduates graduate from social work degree programs every year. In other words, every year an estimated 2,906 social workers graduate from California's 31 social work schools.
The top-ranked school in California with a social work program is University of California-Berkeley, which is located in Berkeley. In 2010, it was ranked 5th nationwide. 198 students graduated with a degree in social work from University of California-Berkeley in 2010. Tuition at University of California-Berkeley was $10,940 per year.
The second-ranked school in California with a social work program is University of California-Los Angeles, which is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, it was ranked 5th nationwide. In 2010, 95 students graduated from University of California-Los Angeles social work program. Tuition at University of California-Los Angeles was $10,781 per year.
The third-ranked school in California with a social work program is University of Southern California, which is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, it was ranked 7th nationwide. In 2010, 305 students graduated from University of Southern California social work program. University of Southern California charged in-state students $41,022 in tuition fees per year.
Social work schools in California, charge students an average tuition of $11,988 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $41,022 per year, or as little as $4,810 per year. The California social work schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- Chapman University - located in Orange, students are charged $38,524 per year
- Whittier College - located in Whittier, students are charged $35,582 per year
The following California social work schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- California State University-Long Beach - located in Long Beach, students are charged $4,810 per year
- California State University-Los Angeles - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $4,848 per year
- California State University-Dominguez Hills - located in Carson, students are charged $4,849 per year
A social work degree from a California school... what next?
A large number of California social work graduates become social workers. 11,490 social workers were working in California in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of California social workers:
- Los Angeles County - 2,930 social workers
- Orange County - 1,240 social workers
- Riverside County - 1,180 social workers
The government projects that by 2018, the number of social workers in the state of California will grow to 13,400. This would require a 22% growth in the profession.
A social worker in California makes an average of $58,980 per year. But, salaries for social workers can vary. In 2010, social workers made as little as less than $23,690 per year or as much as more than $94,120 per year in California. The following counties in California have the highest average salaries for social workers:
- San Benito County - $70,860 per year
- Solano County - $66,620 per year
- Marin County - $65,950 per year
On average, social workers earns the least in the following California counties:
- Lassen County - $45,960 per year
- Del Norte County - $46,240 per year
- Santa Barbara County - $47,860 per year
For more data regarding a career in social work in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in California
- Master's Degree in Social Work in California
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in California
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||23,600||$50,090||-0.2%|
|Social Workers, All Other||13,810||$59,870||54.1%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||11,490||$58,980||15.9%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||10,650||$47,550||-9.5%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in California