There are schools offering sound engineering programs in California!
Schools Offering Sound Engineering Programs in California
The top-ranked school in California with a sound engineering program is Cogswell Polytechnical College, which is located in Sunnyvale. In 2010, it was ranked 42nd nationwide. In 2010, 2 students graduated from Cogswell Polytechnical College's sound engineering program. Tuition at Cogswell Polytechnical College was $18,924 per year.
The second-ranked school in California that has a sound engineering program is Loyola Marymount University. Loyola Marymount University, which was ranked 63rd in the country in 2010, is located in Los Angeles. 12 students graduated with degree in sound engineering from Loyola Marymount University in 2010. Tuition at Loyola Marymount University was $36,622 per year.
The third-ranked school in California with a sound engineering program is Los Angeles Recording School, which is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, it was ranked 70th nationwide. 362 students graduated with degree in sound engineering from Los Angeles Recording School in 2010. Tuition at Los Angeles Recording School was $0 per year.
If you choose to attend a California sound engineering school, average tuition will be $3,782 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $644 per year to $36,622 per year. In 2010, the sound engineering schools that charged the highest tuition rates in California were:
- Loyola Marymount University - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $36,622 per year
- Cogswell Polytechnical College - located in Sunnyvale, students are charged $18,924 per year
- The Art Institute of California-Los Angeles - located in Santa Monica, students are charged $18,848 per year
The lowest tuition rates at California sound engineering schools were charged at the following schools:
- American River College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Sacramento City College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- Cypress College - located in Cypress, students are charged $656 per year
A sound engineering degree from a California school... what next?
Most people who graduate from sound engineering school in California go on to work as a sound engineer. California had 3,820 sound engineers in 2010. In California, the largest numbers of sound engineers work in the following counties:
- Los Angeles County - 2,290 sound engineers
- Marin County - 420 sound engineers
- Orange County - 350 sound engineers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 4,800 sound engineers will be working in California state. This would require the number of sound engineers to grow by 4%.
A sound engineer in California earns $68,730 per year on average. But, salaries for sound engineers can vary. In 2010, sound engineers made as little as less than $17,950 per year or as much as more than $162,900 per year in California. The counties in California with the highest average salary for a sound engineer are:
- Los Angeles County - $76,240 per year
- El Dorado County - $70,090 per year
- San Benito County - $67,000 per year
The following counties in California have the lowest average salaries for sound engineers:
- Alameda County - $48,390 per year
- San Diego County - $52,460 per year
- Orange County - $54,340 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional California statistics regarding a career in sound engineering and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as audio production or video production.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Sound Engineering in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Sound Engineering in California
- Certificate in Sound Engineering in California
Curious what studying Sound Engineering gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||8,220||$49,110||16.6%|
|Sound Engineering Technicians||3,820||$68,730||15.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are sound engineering related jobs in California