There are schools offering veterinary assistant programs in California!
Schools Offering Veterinary Assisting Programs in California
Around 0.1% of California's graduates graduate from veterinary assisting degree programs every year. Thus, California's 18 veterinary assistant schools put out approximately 483 veterinary assistants each year.
Tuition at California's veterinary assistant schools ranges from $13,418 per year to $644 per year. But, the average tuition is $1,144 per year. The California veterinary assistant schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- San Joaquin Valley College-Fresno - located in Fresno, students are charged $13,418 per year
- Foothill College - located in Los Altos, students are charged $894 per year
- Yuba College - located in Marysville, students are charged $752 per year
The lowest tuition rates at California veterinary assistant schools were charged at the following schools:
- Cosumnes River College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
- San Diego Mesa College - located in San Diego, students are charged $658 per year
- Modesto Junior College - located in Modesto, students are charged $670 per year
A veterinary assistant degree from a California school... what next?
A large number of California veterinary assistant graduates become veterinary assistants. California had 6,940 veterinary assistants in 2010. The following counties have the largest number of California veterinary assistants:
- San Diego County - 1,190 veterinary assistants
- Los Angeles County - 1,050 veterinary assistants
- Orange County - 690 veterinary assistants
The government projects that by 2018, the number of veterinary assistants in the state of California will grow to 9,200. This would require a 22% growth in the profession.
A veterinary assistant in California earns $26,330 per year on average. In 2010, however, some California veterinary assistants earned as little as less than $17,370 per year or as much as more than $51,260 per year. A veterinary assistant in the following California counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Marin County - $35,560 per year
- San Benito County - $33,250 per year
- Santa Cruz County - $31,660 per year
The California counties with the lowest average salary for veterinary assistants are:
- Stanislaus County - $21,210 per year
- Solano County - $21,300 per year
- Riverside County - $21,410 per year
For more data regarding a career in veterinary assisting in California and to compare salaries with various related fields such as veterinary or dog training, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Veterinary Assisting in California
- Certificate in Veterinary Assisting in California
Curious what studying Veterinary Assistant gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers||6,940||$26,330||-18.4%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are veterinary assistant related jobs in California