There are schools offering visual communications degrees in California!
Schools Offering Visual Communications Programs in California
Each year, roughly 0.3% of California students graduate with degrees in visual communications. That means an estimated 2,374 visual communications professionals graduate from California's 114 visual communications schools each year.
Stanford University, which was ranked 2nd nationwide in 2010, is the top-ranked school in California that has a visual communications program. It is located in Stanford. In 2010, 3 students graduated from Stanford University's visual communications program. Tuition at Stanford University was $40,172 per year.
The second-ranked school in California with a visual communications program is University of California-Berkeley, which is located in Berkeley. In 2010, it was ranked 5th nationwide. In 2010, University of California-Berkeley graduated 1 students from its visual communications program. Students at University of California-Berkeley paid $10,940 per year in tuition fees.
The third-ranked school in California that has a visual communications program is University of California-Los Angeles. University of California-Los Angeles, which was ranked 5th in the country in 2010, is located in Los Angeles. In 2010, 1 students graduated from University of California-Los Angeles visual communications program. The tuition rate at University of California-Los Angeles was $10,781 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of California's visual communications schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $9,858 per year, though tuition can range from $41,130 per year to $634 per year. The California visual communications schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Pitzer College - located in Claremont, students are charged $41,130 per year
- University of Southern California - located in Los Angeles, students are charged $41,022 per year
- Stanford University - located in Stanford, students are charged $40,172 per year
The visual communications schools in California that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Victor Valley College - located in Victorville, students are charged $634 per year
- Folsom Lake College - located in Folsom, students are charged $644 per year
- American River College - located in Sacramento, students are charged $644 per year
A visual communications degree from a California school... what next?
visual communications graduates in California can go into a variety of professions such as video editor, audio visual technician, and artist. If you decide to work as a visual communications professional in California, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 43,920 California visual communications professional as of 2010. This number includes 26,390 graphic designers, 6,030 video editors, and 8,220 audio visual technicians. The California counties with the largest populations of visual communications professional are:
- Los Angeles County - 20,110 visual communications professionals
- Marin County - 4,700 visual communications professionals
- Orange County - 4,290 visual communications professionals
The government projects that, by 2018, the number of visual communications professionals in the state of California will grow to 69,000. This would require a 7% growth in the field.
visual communications professionals in California make an average of $64,353 per year. However, this number is only an average. Visual communications professional in California had varying salaries from $18,640 to $166,070 per year in 2010. The following counties in California have the highest average salaries for visual communications professionals:
- Los Angeles County - $67,500 per year
- Marin County - $65,883 per year
- San Benito County - $59,768 per year
Visual communications professionals in the following counties in California make the lowest salaries on average:
- Del Norte County - $35,420 per year
- Butte County - $37,460 per year
- Sonoma County - $39,230 per year
On average, the highest paid visual communications professionals in California were:
- Video Editor - $84,790 per year
- Artist - $66,270 per year
- Graphic Designer - $57,240 per year
On average, the lowest paid visual communications professionals in California were:
- Graphic Designer - $57,240 per year
- Audio Visual Technician - $49,110 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional California statistics regarding a career in visual communications. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as visual communications or art.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Visual Communications in California
- Bachelor's Degree in Visual Communications in California
- Master's Degree in Visual Communications in California
- Doctoral Degree in Visual Communications in California
- Certificate in Visual Communications in California
Curious what studying Visual Communications gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in California
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||8,220||$49,110||16.6%|
|Film and Video Editors||6,030||$84,790||22.3%|
|Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators||3,280||$66,270||175.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are visual communications related jobs in California