There are schools offering medical coding classess in Florida!
Schools Offering Medical Coding Programs in Florida
The top-ranked school in Florida that has a medical coding program is Keiser Career College-Greenacres. Keiser Career College-Greenacres, which was ranked 64th in the country in 2010, is located in West Palm Beach. 87 students graduated with a certificate in medical coding from Keiser Career College-Greenacres in 2010. Keiser Career College-Greenacres charged in-state students $14,176 in tuition fees per year.
Daytona College, which is located in Ormond Beach, is the second-ranked school in Florida that has a medical coding program. It received a ranking of 64th in the country in 2010.
The third-ranked school in Florida that has a medical coding program is Superior Career Institute. Superior Career Institute, which was ranked 65th in the country in 2010, is located in Fort Lauderdale. In 2010, 10 students graduated from Superior Career Institute medical coding program. Tuition at Superior Career Institute was $0 per year.
Tuition at Florida's medical coding schools ranges from $27,147 per year to $7,410 per year. But, the average tuition is $7,609 per year. In 2010, the following Florida medical coding schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Centura Institute - located in Orlando, students are charged $27,147 per year
- Lincoln College of Technology - located in West Palm Beach, students are charged $17,536 per year
- Florida Career College - located in Clearwater, students are charged $16,744 per year
The medical coding schools in Florida that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- Jones College-Jacksonville - located in Jacksonville, students are charged $7,410 per year
- Herzing University - located in Winter Park, students are charged $11,660 per year
- College of Business and Technology-Flagler Campus - located in Miami, students are charged $11,800 per year
A medical coding certificate from a Florida school... what next?
The highest percentage of medical coding graduates in Florida pursue careers as a medical coder. Florida had 10,880 medical coders in 2010. In Florida, the largest numbers of medical coders work in the following counties:
- Hernando County - 1,810 medical coders
- Miami-Dade County - 1,500 medical coders
- Lake County - 1,460 medical coders
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 12,450 medical coders will be working in Florida state. This would require the number of medical coders to grow by 20%.
On average, medical coders earn $33,860 per year. In 2010, however, some Florida medical coders earned as little as less than $18,150 per year or as much as more than $68,310 per year. On average a medical coder earns the most in the following Florida counties:
- Broward County - $43,090 per year
- Polk County - $39,130 per year
- Okaloosa County - $39,000 per year
The following counties in Florida have the lowest average salaries for medical coders:
- Marion County - $27,880 per year
- Charlotte County - $27,990 per year
- Miami-Dade County - $29,020 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Florida statistics regarding a career in medical coding and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as administrative assisting or health information management.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Coding in Florida
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Coding in Florida
- Certificate in Medical Coding in Florida
Curious what studying Medical Coding gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Florida
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||10,880||$33,860||20.8%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical coding related jobs in Florida