There are schools offering social work degrees in Illinois!
Schools Offering Social Work Programs in Illinois
Northwestern University, which is located in Evanston, is the top-ranked school in Illinois that has a social work program. It received a ranking of 7th in the country in 2010. In 2010, Northwestern University graduated 62 students from its social work program. Northwestern University charged in-state students $40,223 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Illinois with a social work program is Loyola University Chicago, which is located in Chicago. In 2010, it was ranked 28th nationwide. In 2010, Loyola University Chicago graduated 297 students from its social work program. Tuition at Loyola University Chicago was $32,114 per year.
The third-ranked school in Illinois that has a social work program is University of Illinois at Chicago. University of Illinois at Chicago, which was ranked 29th in the country in 2010, is located in Chicago. In 2010, University of Illinois at Chicago graduated 212 students from its social work programs. Students at University of Illinois at Chicago paid $12,053 per year in tuition fees.
Social work schools in Illinois, charge students an average tuition of $12,873 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $42,041 per year, or as little as $2,194 per year. In 2010, the following Illinois social work schools had the highest tuition rates:
- University of Chicago - located in Chicago, students are charged $42,041 per year
- Northwestern University - located in Evanston, students are charged $40,223 per year
- Loyola University Chicago - located in Chicago, students are charged $32,114 per year
The social work schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Illinois were:
- Elgin Community College - located in Elgin, students are charged $2,194 per year
- Waubonsee Community College - located in Sugar Grove, students are charged $2,352 per year
- Rock Valley College - located in Rockford, students are charged $2,400 per year
A social work degree from an Illinois school... what next?
A large number of Illinois social work graduates become social workers. In 2010, there were 3,980 social workers working in Illinois. The Illinois counties with the largest populations of social workers are:
- Cook County - 2,720 social workers
- Lake County - 160 social workers
- Adams County - 150 social workers
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 4,660 social workers will be working in Illinois state. This would require the number of social workers to grow by 20%.
On average, a social worker earns a salary of $50,890 per year in Illinois state. However, this number is only an average. social workers in Illinois had varying salaries from $18,660 to $78,500 per year in 2010. On average a social worker earns the most in the following Illinois counties:
- Lake County - $56,750 per year
- Cook County - $53,650 per year
- Menard County - $51,410 per year
On average, social workers earns the least in the following Illinois counties:
- Edwards County - $36,510 per year
- Clark County - $36,910 per year
- Kankakee County - $38,640 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Illinois statistics regarding a career in social work. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as human resources or social work.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Social Work in Illinois
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work in Illinois
- Master's Degree in Social Work in Illinois
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work in Illinois
- Certificate in Social Work in Illinois
Curious what studying Social Work gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Illinois
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Child, Family, and School Social Workers||13,640||$53,540||7.5%|
|Social Workers, All Other||5,010||$53,380||-10.7%|
|Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers||4,600||$40,250||19.8%|
|Healthcare Social Workers||3,980||$50,890||1.8%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are social work related jobs in Illinois