There are schools offering visual communications degrees in Illinois!
Schools Offering Visual Communications Programs in Illinois
Each year, approximately 0.2% of Illinois graduates receive degrees in visual communications. Thus, Illinois' 45 visual communications schools put out approximately 830 visual communications professionals each year.
The top-ranked school in Illinois with a visual communications program is Northwestern University, which is located in Evanston. In 2010, it was ranked 7th nationwide. In 2010, Northwestern University graduated 10 students from its visual communications program. Students at Northwestern University paid $40,223 per year in tuition fees.
The second-ranked school in Illinois that has a visual communications program is Loyola University Chicago. Loyola University Chicago, which was ranked 28th in the country in 2010, is located in Chicago. In 2010, 9 students graduated from Loyola University Chicago visual communications program. Tuition at Loyola University Chicago was $32,114 per year.
The third-ranked school in Illinois with a visual communications program is University of Illinois at Chicago, which is located in Chicago. In 2010, it was ranked 29th nationwide. In 2010, University of Illinois at Chicago graduated 25 students from its visual communications programs. The tuition rate at University of Illinois at Chicago was $12,053 per year.
Visual communications schools in Illinois, charge students an average tuition of $15,762 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $42,041 per year, or as little as $2,348 per year. In 2010, the visual communications schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Illinois were:
- University of Chicago - located in Chicago, students are charged $42,041 per year
- Northwestern University - located in Evanston, students are charged $40,223 per year
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago - located in Chicago, students are charged $36,150 per year
The visual communications schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Illinois were:
- Prairie State College - located in Chicago Heights, students are charged $2,348 per year
- Waubonsee Community College - located in Sugar Grove, students are charged $2,352 per year
- Oakton Community College - located in Des Plaines, students are charged $2,750 per year
A visual communications degree from an Illinois school... what next?
Many Illinois visual communications graduates become a video editor, audio visual technician, and artist. Illinois had 12,260 visual communications professionals in 2010. 9,870 of these visual communications professionals were graphic designers, 550 were video editors, and 1,490 were audio visual technicians. The following counties have the largest number of Illinois visual communications professionals:
- Cook County - 9,720 visual communications professionals
- Lake County - 510 visual communications professionals
- Boone County - 210 visual communications professionals
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts by 2018, an estimated 16,210 visual communications professionals will be working in Illinois. This would require the number of visual communications professional to grow by 9%.
On average, visual communications professionals earn $51,398 per year. However, this number is only an average. Visual communications professional in Illinois had varying salaries from $18,920 to $109,570 per year in 2010. The counties in Illinois with the highest average salary for visual communications professionals are:
- Cook County - $52,693 per year
- Lake County - $47,200 per year
- Clark County - $44,590 per year
Visual communications professionals in the following counties in Illinois make the lowest salaries on average:
- Macon County - $31,080 per year
- Marshall County - $31,095 per year
- Edwards County - $34,530 per year
On average, the highest paid visual communications professionals in Illinois were:
- Video Editor - $60,200 per year
- Graphic Designer - $51,220 per year
- Artist - $47,600 per year
On average, the lowest paid visual communications professionals in Illinois were:
- Artist - $47,600 per year
- Audio Visual Technician - $46,570 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Illinois statistics regarding a career in visual communications and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as visual communications or art.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Visual Communications in Illinois
- Bachelor's Degree in Visual Communications in Illinois
- Master's Degree in Visual Communications in Illinois
- Doctoral Degree in Visual Communications in Illinois
- Certificate in Visual Communications in Illinois
Curious what studying Visual Communications gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Illinois
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||1,490||$46,570||0.7%|
|Film and Video Editors||550||$60,200||61.8%|
|Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators||350||$47,600||-18.6%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are visual communications related jobs in Illinois