There are schools offering mechanical engineering degrees in Indiana!
Schools Offering Mechanical Engineering Programs in Indiana
Approximately 0.7% of graduates in of Indiana receive mechanical engineering degrees every year. Thus, Indiana's 13 mechanical engineering schools put out approximately 1,169 mechanical engineers each year.
Purdue University-Main Campus, which is located in West Lafayette, is the top-ranked school in Indiana that has a mechanical engineering program. It received a ranking of 21st in the country in 2010. 625 students graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering from Purdue University-Main Campus in 2010. Tuition at Purdue University-Main Campus was $9,070 per year.
The second-ranked school in Indiana with a mechanical engineering program is Valparaiso University, which is located in Valparaiso. In 2010, it was ranked 31st nationwide. In 2010, 28 students graduated from Valparaiso University mechanical engineering program. The tuition rate at Valparaiso University was $29,582 per year.
University of Evansville, which is located in Evansville, is the third-ranked school in Indiana that has a mechanical engineering program. It received a ranking of 35th in the country in 2010. In 2010, University of Evansville graduated 20 students from its mechanical engineering programs. University of Evansville charged in-state students $28,076 in tuition fees per year.
Mechanical engineering schools in Indiana, charge students an average tuition of $17,889 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $39,919 per year, or as little as $4,588 per year. In 2010, the following Indiana mechanical engineering schools had the highest tuition rates:
- University of Notre Dame - located in Notre Dame, students are charged $39,919 per year
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - located in Terre Haute, students are charged $38,470 per year
- Valparaiso University - located in Valparaiso, students are charged $29,582 per year
The following Indiana mechanical engineering schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Vincennes University - located in Vincennes, students are charged $4,588 per year
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus - located in Hammond, students are charged $6,181 per year
- Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne - located in Fort Wayne, students are charged $6,545 per year
A mechanical engineering degree from an Indiana school... what next?
The highest percentage of mechanical engineering graduates in Indiana pursue careers as a mechanical engineer. If you decide to work as a mechanical engineer in Indiana, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 6,980 Indiana mechanical engineers as of 2010. The following counties have the largest number of Indiana mechanical engineers:
- Boone County - 1,500 mechanical engineers
- Allen County - 610 mechanical engineers
- Adams County - 510 mechanical engineers
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of mechanical engineers is expected to grow by 3% by 2018. There are projected to be 8,060 mechanical engineers working in the Indiana then.
On average, a mechanical engineer earns a salary of $71,540 per year in Indiana state. However, Indiana mechanical engineers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $27,310 per year to more than $143,330 per year in 2010. A mechanical engineer in the following Indiana counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Delaware County - $85,250 per year
- Howard County - $84,520 per year
- St. Joseph County - $82,140 per year
On average, mechanical engineers earns the least in the following Indiana counties:
- LaPorte County - $64,410 per year
- Elkhart County - $65,290 per year
- Clay County - $65,350 per year
For more data regarding a career in mechanical engineering in Indiana and to compare salaries with various related fields such as civil engineering or mechanical engineering, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Indiana
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Indiana
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Indiana
- Doctoral Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Indiana
Curious what studying Mechanical Engineering gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Indiana
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Engineers, All Other||2,330||$73,430||-32.1%|
|Mechanical Engineering Technicians||1,470||$50,600||-2.6%|
|Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other||1,110||$56,270||-15.9%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mechanical engineering related jobs in Indiana