There are schools offering automotive training in Iowa!
Schools Offering Automotive Repair Programs in Iowa
Around 0.4% of Iowa's graduates graduate from automotive repair certificate programs every year. In other words, every year an estimated 465 automotive mechanics graduate from Iowa's 15 automotive schools.
Vatterott College, which is located in Des Moines, is the top-ranked school in Iowa that has a automotive program. It received a ranking of 70th in the country in 2010. 33 students graduated with a certificate in automotive from Vatterott College in 2010. Vatterott College charged in-state students $11,306 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Iowa that has a automotive program is Northwest Iowa Community College. Northwest Iowa Community College, which was ranked 73rd in the country in 2010, is located in Sheldon. 22 students graduated with certificate in automotive from Northwest Iowa Community College in 2010. The tuition rate at Northwest Iowa Community College was $4,620 per year.
The third-ranked school in Iowa with a automotive program is Southwestern Community College, which is located in Creston. In 2010, it was ranked 77th nationwide. In 2010, 15 students graduated from Southwestern Community College automotive program. Southwestern Community College charged in-state students $4,020 in tuition fees per year.
Automotive schools in Iowa, charge students an average tuition of $4,411 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $11,306 per year, or as little as $3,120 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Iowa automotive schools were charged at the following schools:
- Vatterott College - located in Des Moines, students are charged $11,306 per year
- Iowa Lakes Community College - located in Estherville, students are charged $4,876 per year
- Northeast Iowa Community College-Calmar - located in Calmar, students are charged $4,800 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Iowa automotive schools were charged at the following schools:
- Indian Hills Community College - located in Ottumwa, students are charged $3,120 per year
- Western Iowa Tech Community College - located in Sioux City, students are charged $3,204 per year
- Kirkwood Community College - located in Cedar Rapids, students are charged $3,540 per year
An automotive certificate from an Iowa school... what next?
A large number of Iowa automotive graduates become automotive mechanics. If you decide to work as an automotive mechanic in Iowa, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 7,920 Iowa automotive mechanics as of 2010. The largest populations of Iowa automotive mechanics are working in the following counties:
- Appanoose County - 1,540 automotive mechanics
- Dallas County - 1,430 automotive mechanics
- Scott County - 1,060 automotive mechanics
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of automotive mechanics is expected to grow by 5% by 2018. There are projected to be 10,140 automotive mechanics working in the Iowa then.
An automotive mechanic in Iowa makes an average of $34,710 per year. In 2010, however, some Iowa automotive mechanics earned as little as less than $17,460 per year or as much as more than $62,920 per year. The counties in Iowa with the highest average salary for an automotive mechanic are:
- Story County - $39,560 per year
- Dallas County - $38,980 per year
- Woodbury County - $37,120 per year
An automotive mechanic in the following counties in Iowa make the lowest salaries on average:
- Allamakee County - $30,920 per year
- Black Hawk County - $32,160 per year
- Buena Vista County - $32,380 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Iowa statistics regarding a career in automotive repair and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as automotive or plumbing.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Automotive Repair in Iowa
- Certificate in Automotive Repair in Iowa
Curious what studying Automotive gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics||7,920||$34,710||7.8%|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||3,750||$38,440||-6.5%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are automotive related jobs in Iowa