There are schools offering law programs in Iowa!
Schools Offering Law Programs in Iowa
The top-ranked school in Iowa with a law program is Dordt College, which is located in Sioux Center. In 2010, it was ranked 36th nationwide. In 2010, 4 students graduated from Dordt College's law program. The tuition rate at Dordt College was $23,180 per year.
Buena Vista University, which is located in Storm Lake, is the second-ranked school in Iowa that has a law program. It received a ranking of 43rd in the country in 2010. In 2010, 53 students graduated from Buena Vista University law program. Buena Vista University charged in-state students $26,306 in tuition fees per year.
Grand View University, which was ranked 43rd nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Iowa that has a law program. It is located in Des Moines. In 2010, Grand View University graduated 22 students from its law programs. Students at Grand View University paid $20,292 per year in tuition fees.
Law schools in Iowa, charge students an average tuition of $14,283 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $26,960 per year, or as little as $3,120 per year. In 2010, the following Iowa law schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Drake University - located in Des Moines, students are charged $26,960 per year
- Simpson College - located in Indianola, students are charged $26,837 per year
- Buena Vista University - located in Storm Lake, students are charged $26,306 per year
The following Iowa law schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Indian Hills Community College - located in Ottumwa, students are charged $3,120 per year
- Western Iowa Tech Community College - located in Sioux City, students are charged $3,204 per year
- Eastern Iowa Community College District - located in Davenport, students are charged $3,540 per year
A law degree from an Iowa school... what next?
Law clerk, police officer, court clerk, paralegal, and police detective are the professions of choice for a majority of law graduates in Iowa. Iowa had 13,840 law professionals in 2010. 2,970 of these law professionals were lawyers, 40 were law clerks, and 4,800 were police officers. The largest populations of Iowa law professional are working in the following counties:
- Dallas County - 3,830 law professionals
- Scott County - 2,220 law professionals
- Benton County - 1,220 law professionals
The government projects that, by 2018, the number of law professionals in the state of Iowa will grow to 18,150. This would require a 9% growth in the field.
On average, law professionals earn $48,684 per year. However, Iowa law professional earned anywhere in the range from as less than $15,240 per year to more than $154,380 per year in 2010. Law professionals in the following Iowa counties make the highest salaries on average:
- Story County - $69,820 per year
- Dallas County - $62,658 per year
- Benton County - $57,365 per year
The Iowa counties with the lowest average salary for law professionals are:
- Allamakee County - $44,313 per year
- Buena Vista County - $45,002 per year
- Adair County - $46,466 per year
On average, the highest paid law professionals in Iowa were:
- Lawyer - $103,960 per year
- Police Detective - $66,360 per year
- Probation Officer - $60,240 per year
The law professionals with lowest average salaries in Iowa were:
- Court Clerk - $33,880 per year
- Bailiff - per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Iowa statistics regarding a career in law and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as forensic accounting or public administration.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Law in Iowa
- Bachelor's Degree in Law in Iowa
- Master's Degree in Law in Iowa
- Doctoral Degree in Law in Iowa
- Certificate in Law in Iowa
Curious what studying Law gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers||4,800||$47,740||1.3%|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||1,810||$33,880||84.7%|
|Paralegals and Legal Assistants||1,490||$42,400||24.2%|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||460||$66,360||31.4%|
|Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists||430||$60,240||59.3%|
|Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates||260||$58,060||-29.7%|
|Fish and Game Wardens||130||$53,660||-7.1%|
|Judicial Law Clerks||40||$35,330|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are law related jobs in Iowa