There are schools offering medical transcription training in Iowa!
Schools Offering Medical Transcription Programs in Iowa
Each year, approximately 0.2% of Iowa graduates receive certificates in medical transcription. That means an estimated 190 medical transcriptionists graduate from Iowa's 6 medical transcription schools each year.
The top-ranked school in Iowa with a medical transcription program is Kaplan University-Davenport Campus, which is located in Davenport. In 2010, it was ranked 74th nationwide. In 2010, Kaplan University-Davenport Campus graduated 149 students from its medical transcription program. The tuition rate at Kaplan University-Davenport Campus was $15,627 per year.
Southwestern Community College, which was ranked 77th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Iowa that has a medical transcription program. It is located in Creston. In 2010, Southwestern Community College graduated 0 students from its medical transcription program. Students at Southwestern Community College paid $4,020 per year in tuition fees.
Iowa Central Community College, which was ranked 77th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Iowa that has a medical transcription program. It is located in Fort Dodge. In 2010, 11 students graduated from Iowa Central Community College medical transcription program. Students at Iowa Central Community College paid $3,990 per year in tuition fees.
If you choose to attend a Iowa medical transcription school, average tuition will be $5,850 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $3,120 per year to $15,627 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Iowa medical transcription schools were charged at the following schools:
- Kaplan University-Davenport Campus - located in Davenport, students are charged $15,627 per year
- Northeast Iowa Community College-Calmar - located in Calmar, students are charged $4,800 per year
- Southwestern Community College - located in Creston, students are charged $4,020 per year
The medical transcription schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Iowa were:
- Indian Hills Community College - located in Ottumwa, students are charged $3,120 per year
- Kirkwood Community College - located in Cedar Rapids, students are charged $3,540 per year
- Iowa Central Community College - located in Fort Dodge, students are charged $3,990 per year
A medical transcription certificate from an Iowa school... what next?
Most people who graduate from medical transcription school in Iowa go on to work as a medical transcriptionist. In 2010, there were 1,680 medical transcriptionists working in Iowa. The Iowa counties with the largest populations of medical transcriptionists are:
- Dallas County - 560 medical transcriptionists
- Scott County - 220 medical transcriptionists
- Appanoose County - 200 medical transcriptionists
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that by 2018, an estimated 2,470 medical transcriptionists will be working in Iowa state. This would require the number of medical transcriptionists to grow by 11%.
On average, a medical transcriptionist earns a salary of $31,340 per year in Iowa state. However, this number is only an average. medical transcriptionists in Iowa had varying salaries from $16,070 to $43,110 per year in 2010. The following counties in Iowa have the highest average salaries for medical transcriptionists:
- Black Hawk County - $31,630 per year
- Scott County - $30,960 per year
- Dallas County - $30,360 per year
The following counties in Iowa have the lowest average salaries for medical transcriptionists:
- Johnson County - $26,390 per year
- Dubuque County - $27,450 per year
- Buena Vista County - $27,930 per year
The charts and graphs below have additional Iowa statistics regarding a career in medical transcription. Take a look and compare salaries with various related fields such as administrative assisting or health information.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Transcription in Iowa
- Certificate in Medical Transcription in Iowa
Curious what studying Medical Transcription gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical transcription related jobs in Iowa