There are schools offering sports medicine degrees in Iowa!
Schools Offering Sports Medicine Programs in Iowa
Each year, roughly 0.1% of Iowa students graduate with degrees in sports medicine. In other words, every year an estimated 93 sports medicine professionals graduate from Iowa's 12 sports medicine schools.
The top-ranked school in Iowa that has a sports medicine program is Luther College. Luther College, which was ranked 29th in the country in 2010, is located in Decorah. 3 students graduated with a degree in sports medicine from Luther College in 2010. Luther College charged in-state students $33,480 in tuition fees per year.
Coe College, which was ranked 33rd nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Iowa that has a sports medicine program. It is located in Cedar Rapids. In 2010, 10 students graduated from Coe College sports medicine program. Tuition at Coe College was $30,860 per year.
Buena Vista University, which is located in Storm Lake, is the third-ranked school in Iowa that has a sports medicine program. It received a ranking of 43rd in the country in 2010. 6 students graduated with degree in sports medicine from Buena Vista University in 2010. Buena Vista University charged in-state students $26,306 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at Iowa's sports medicine schools ranges from $33,480 per year to $7,008 per year. But, the average tuition is $22,975 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Iowa sports medicine schools were charged at the following schools:
- Luther College - located in Decorah, students are charged $33,480 per year
- Coe College - located in Cedar Rapids, students are charged $30,860 per year
- Simpson College - located in Indianola, students are charged $26,837 per year
The sports medicine schools in Iowa that charged the lowest tuition rates were:
- University of Northern Iowa - located in Cedar Falls, students are charged $7,008 per year
- University of Iowa - located in Iowa City, students are charged $7,417 per year
- Graceland University-Lamoni - located in Lamoni, students are charged $20,980 per year
A sports medicine degree from an Iowa school... what next?
Some of the most popular jobs sports medicine graduates in Iowa pursue include sports medicine coordinator , physical therapy professor, coach, physical therapist, and physical therapist assistant. Iowa had 9,920 sports medicine professionals in 2010. 1,610 of these sports medicine professionals were sports medicine physicians, 210 were sports medicine coordinator s, and 1,870 were physical therapy professors. In Iowa, the largest numbers of sports medicine professional work in the following counties:
- Dallas County - 2,170 sports medicine professionals
- Scott County - 1,240 sports medicine professionals
- Appanoose County - 970 sports medicine professionals
The government projects that, by 2018, the number of sports medicine professionals in the state of Iowa will grow to 10,570. This would require a 25% growth in the field.
On average, sports medicine professionals earn a salary of $60,320 per year in Iowa state. In 2010, however, some Iowa sports medicine professional earned as little as less than $15,770 per year or as much as more than $142,550 per year. Sports medicine professionals in the following Iowa counties make the highest salaries on average:
- Woodbury County - $104,163 per year
- Dubuque County - $102,623 per year
- Johnson County - $97,093 per year
The Iowa counties with the lowest average salary for sports medicine professionals are:
- Allamakee County - $46,833 per year
- Dallas County - $75,122 per year
- Adair County - $75,810 per year
On average, the highest paid sports medicine professionals in Iowa were:
- Sports Medicine Physician - $188,450 per year
- Physical Therapist - $70,990 per year
- Physical Therapist Assistant - $41,190 per year
The sports medicine professionals with lowest average salaries in Iowa were:
- Coach - $25,800 per year
- Physical Therapy Professor - per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Iowa statistics regarding a career in sports medicine and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as physical therapy or sports medicine.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Sports Medicine in Iowa
- Master's Degree in Sports Medicine in Iowa
Curious what studying Sports Medicine gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Coaches and Scouts||3,740||$25,800||33.1%|
|Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary||1,870||n/a|
|Physicians and Surgeons, All Other||1,610||$188,450||59.4%|
|Physical Therapist Assistants||780||$41,190||13.0%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are sports medicine related jobs in Iowa