There are schools offering visual communications degrees in Iowa!
Schools Offering Visual Communications Programs in Iowa
Each year, approximately 0.3% of Iowa graduates receive degrees in visual communications. That means an estimated 287 visual communications professionals graduate from Iowa's 17 visual communications schools each year.
Wartburg College, which is located in Waverly, is the top-ranked school in Iowa that has a visual communications program. It received a ranking of 35th in the country in 2010. 8 students graduated with a degree in visual communications from Wartburg College in 2010. Students at Wartburg College paid $29,020 per year in tuition fees.
Dordt College, which was ranked 36th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Iowa that has a visual communications program. It is located in Sioux Center. In 2010, 10 students graduated from Dordt College visual communications program. Dordt College charged in-state students $23,180 in tuition fees per year.
The third-ranked school in Iowa that has a visual communications program is Buena Vista University. Buena Vista University, which was ranked 43rd in the country in 2010, is located in Storm Lake. 8 students graduated with degree in visual communications from Buena Vista University in 2010. Buena Vista University charged in-state students $26,306 in tuition fees per year.
Tuition at Iowa's visual communications schools ranges from $29,020 per year to $3,750 per year. But, the average tuition is $15,833 per year. The Iowa visual communications schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Wartburg College - located in Waverly, students are charged $29,020 per year
- Buena Vista University - located in Storm Lake, students are charged $26,306 per year
- Saint Ambrose University - located in Davenport, students are charged $23,910 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Iowa visual communications schools were charged at the following schools:
- Des Moines Area Community College - located in Ankeny, students are charged $3,750 per year
- Hawkeye Community College - located in Waterloo, students are charged $3,752 per year
- Northwest Iowa Community College - located in Sheldon, students are charged $4,620 per year
A visual communications degree from an Iowa school... what next?
Many Iowa visual communications graduates become a video editor, audio visual technician, and artist. Iowa had 2,460 visual communications professionals in 2010. 1,960 of these visual communications professionals were graphic designers, 100 were video editors, and 340 were audio visual technicians. The largest populations of Iowa visual communications professional are working in the following counties:
- Dallas County - 790 visual communications professionals
- Scott County - 280 visual communications professionals
- Appanoose County - 220 visual communications professionals
The government projects that the number of visual communications professionals in Iowa will grow by 11%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 4,160 visual communications professionals working in Iowa. The greatest growth for visual communications professional is predicted to be amongst Video Editors, who are expected to increase by 14% by 2018.
On average, visual communications professionals earn a salary of $37,130 per year in Iowa state. However, this number is only an average. Visual communications professional in Iowa had varying salaries from $16,550 to $84,310 per year in 2010. The following counties in Iowa have the highest average salaries for visual communications professionals:
- Dallas County - $42,677 per year
- Benton County - $40,560 per year
- Johnson County - $39,880 per year
The following counties in Iowa have the lowest average salaries for visual communications professional:
- Adair County - $27,890 per year
- Allamakee County - $28,240 per year
- Woodbury County - $28,645 per year
On average, the highest paid visual communications professionals in Iowa were:
- Artist - $42,800 per year
- Graphic Designer - $39,710 per year
- Video Editor - $34,620 per year
On average, the lowest paid visual communications professionals in Iowa were:
- Video Editor - $34,620 per year
- Audio Visual Technician - $31,390 per year
For more data regarding a career in visual communications in Iowa and to compare salaries with various related fields such as visual communications or art, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Visual Communications in Iowa
- Bachelor's Degree in Visual Communications in Iowa
- Master's Degree in Visual Communications in Iowa
- Certificate in Visual Communications in Iowa
Curious what studying Visual Communications gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Iowa
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||340||$31,390||78.9%|
|Film and Video Editors||100||$34,620||100.0%|
|Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators||60||$42,800||-57.1%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are visual communications related jobs in Iowa