There are schools offering mechanical engineering degrees in Louisiana!
Schools Offering Mechanical Engineering Programs in Louisiana
Approximately 0.2% of graduates in of Louisiana receive mechanical engineering degrees every year. In other words, every year an estimated 226 mechanical engineers graduate from Louisiana's 6 mechanical engineering schools.
The top-ranked school in Louisiana with a mechanical engineering program is Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College, which is located in Baton Rouge. In 2010, it was ranked 26th nationwide. In 2010, Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College graduated 81 students from its mechanical engineering program. Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College charged in-state students $5,764 in tuition fees per year.
The second-ranked school in Louisiana with a mechanical engineering program is University of Louisiana at Lafayette, which is located in Lafayette. In 2010, it was ranked 70th nationwide. In 2010, University of Louisiana at Lafayette graduated 38 students from its mechanical engineering program. The tuition rate at University of Louisiana at Lafayette was $4,426 per year.
Louisiana Tech University, which was ranked 70th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Louisiana that has a mechanical engineering program. It is located in Ruston. In 2010, 54 students graduated from Louisiana Tech University mechanical engineering program. The tuition rate at Louisiana Tech University was $5,545 per year.
Tuition at Louisiana's mechanical engineering schools ranges from $5,764 per year to $4,292 per year. But, the average tuition is $4,895 per year. The Louisiana mechanical engineering schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College - located in Baton Rouge, students are charged $5,764 per year
- Louisiana Tech University - located in Ruston, students are charged $5,545 per year
- University of New Orleans - located in New Orleans, students are charged $4,759 per year
The mechanical engineering schools that charged the lowest tuition rates in Louisiana were:
- Nicholls State University - located in Thibodaux, students are charged $4,292 per year
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette - located in Lafayette, students are charged $4,426 per year
- Southern University and A & M College - located in Baton Rouge, students are charged $4,584 per year
A mechanical engineering degree from a Louisiana school... what next?
Most people who graduate from mechanical engineering school in Louisiana go on to work as a mechanical engineer. Louisiana had 2,360 mechanical engineers in 2010. In Louisiana, the largest numbers of mechanical engineers work in the following counties:
- Ascension County - 690 mechanical engineers
- Lafayette County - 170 mechanical engineers
- Bossier County - 110 mechanical engineers
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of mechanical engineers is expected to grow by 6% by 2018. There are projected to be 2,390 mechanical engineers working in the Louisiana then.
On average, mechanical engineers earn $86,950 per year. However, Louisiana mechanical engineers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $44,190 per year to more than $146,560 per year in 2010. The following counties in Louisiana have the highest average salaries for mechanical engineers:
- Jefferson Davis County - $93,850 per year
- Ascension County - $86,080 per year
- Bienville County - $85,800 per year
The following counties in Louisiana have the lowest average salaries for mechanical engineers:
- Lafayette County - $70,770 per year
- Ouachita County - $75,280 per year
- Lafourche County - $77,430 per year
For more data regarding a career in mechanical engineering in Louisiana and to compare salaries with various related fields such as civil engineering or mechanical engineering, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Louisiana
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Louisiana
- Doctoral Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Louisiana
Curious what studying Mechanical Engineering gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Louisiana
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Engineers, All Other||3,530||$81,420||59.0%|
|Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other||1,620||$59,980||13.3%|
|Mechanical Engineering Technicians||250||$58,920||108.3%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mechanical engineering related jobs in Louisiana