There are schools offering medical coding classess in Louisiana!
Schools Offering Medical Coding Programs in Louisiana
Each year, roughly 0.2% of Louisiana students graduate with certificates in medical coding. In other words, every year an estimated 288 medical coders graduate from Louisiana's 9 medical coding schools.
Compass Career College, which is located in Hammond, is the top-ranked school in Louisiana that has a medical coding program. It received a ranking of 74th in the country in 2010. In 2010, 16 students graduated from Compass Career College's medical coding program.
Gretna Career College, which is located in Gretna, is the second-ranked school in Louisiana that has a medical coding program. It received a ranking of 77th in the country in 2010. 6 students graduated with certificate in medical coding from Gretna Career College in 2010.
The third-ranked school in Louisiana with a medical coding program is Remington College-Lafayette Campus, which is located in Lafayette. In 2010, it was ranked 80th nationwide. In 2010, 37 students graduated from Remington College-Lafayette Campus medical coding program. Students at Remington College-Lafayette Campus paid $14,745 per year in tuition fees.
Medical coding schools in Louisiana, charge students an average tuition of $6,642 per year. But, tuition can be as much as $14,745 per year, or as little as $2,046 per year. In 2010, the following Louisiana medical coding schools had the highest tuition rates:
- Remington College-Baton Rouge - located in Baton Rouge, students are charged $14,745 per year
- Remington College-Lafayette Campus - located in Lafayette, students are charged $14,745 per year
- Remington College-Shreveport - located in Shreveport, students are charged $14,745 per year
The following Louisiana medical coding schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Nunez Community College - located in Chalmette, students are charged $2,046 per year
- Southern University at Shreveport - located in Shreveport, students are charged $2,730 per year
- Herzing University - located in Kenner, students are charged $10,763 per year
A medical coding certificate from a Louisiana school... what next?
A large number of Louisiana medical coding graduates become medical coders. In 2010, there were 2,470 medical coders working in Louisiana. The following counties have the largest number of Louisiana medical coders:
- Jefferson Davis County - 570 medical coders
- Ascension County - 480 medical coders
- Bossier County - 440 medical coders
The government projects that the number of medical coders in Louisiana will grow by 16%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 2,790 medical coders working in Louisiana.
On average, medical coders earn $29,120 per year. In 2010, however, some Louisiana medical coders earned as little as less than $15,860 per year or as much as more than $51,490 per year. The counties in Louisiana with the highest average salary for a medical coder are:
- Allen County - $33,730 per year
- Jefferson Davis County - $32,210 per year
- Grant County - $31,270 per year
On average, medical coders earns the least in the following Louisiana counties:
- Acadia County - $25,050 per year
- Tangipahoa County - $25,620 per year
- Calcasieu County - $26,060 per year
For more data regarding a career in medical coding in Louisiana and to compare salaries with various related fields such as administrative assisting or health information management, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Coding in Louisiana
- Certificate in Medical Coding in Louisiana
Curious what studying Medical Coding gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Louisiana
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||2,470||$29,120||0.4%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical coding related jobs in Louisiana