There are schools offering medical assistant programs in Maryland!
Schools Offering Medical Assisting Programs in Maryland
Each year, roughly 1.7% of Maryland students graduate with certificates in medical assisting. That means an estimated 2,263 medical assistants graduate from Maryland's 20 medical assistant schools each year.
Towson University, which is located in Baltimore, is the top-ranked school in Maryland that has a medical assistant program. It received a ranking of 28th in the country in 2010. 34 students graduated with a certificate in medical assistant from Towson University in 2010. Tuition at Towson University was $7,656 per year.
The second-ranked school in Maryland that has a medical assistant program is University of Maryland Eastern Shore. University of Maryland Eastern Shore, which was ranked 51st in the country in 2010, is located in Princess Anne. In 2010, 17 students graduated from University of Maryland Eastern Shore medical assistant program. Students at University of Maryland Eastern Shore paid $6,305 per year in tuition fees.
American Career Institute, which was ranked 51st nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Maryland that has a medical assistant program. It is located in Silver Spring. In 2010, 79 students graduated from American Career Institute medical assistant program. The tuition rate at American Career Institute was $0 per year.
If you choose to attend a Maryland medical assistant school, average tuition will be $2,881 per year. However, tuition at your particular institution may range from $2,204 per year to $15,103 per year. The highest tuition rates in 2010 at Maryland medical assistant schools were charged at the following schools:
- Kaplan University-Hagerstown Campus - located in Hagerstown, students are charged $15,103 per year
- Sojourner-Douglass College - located in Baltimore, students are charged $7,920 per year
- Towson University - located in Baltimore, students are charged $7,656 per year
The following Maryland medical assistant schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Harford Community College - located in Bel Air, students are charged $2,204 per year
- Frederick Community College - located in Frederick, students are charged $2,911 per year
- The Community College of Baltimore County - located in Rosedale, students are charged $2,996 per year
A medical assistant certificate from a Maryland school... what next?
The highest percentage of medical assistant graduates in Maryland pursue careers as a medical assistant. If you decide to work as a medical assistant in Maryland, you will be joining the ranks of approximately 8,510 Maryland medical assistants as of 2010. In Maryland, the largest numbers of medical assistants work in the following counties:
- Anne Arundel County - 4,110 medical assistants
- Frederick County - 1,860 medical assistants
- Washington County - 450 medical assistants
The government projects that the number of medical assistants in Maryland will grow by 24%. By 2018, there will be an estimated 9,700 medical assistants working in Maryland.
A medical assistant in Maryland makes an average of $31,590 per year. However, this number is only an average. medical assistants in Maryland had varying salaries from $18,350 to $42,790 per year in 2010. A medical assistant in the following Maryland counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Frederick County - $33,050 per year
- Anne Arundel County - $31,910 per year
- Somerset County - $28,900 per year
On average, medical assistants earns the least in the following Maryland counties:
- St. Mary's County - $27,800 per year
- Allegany County - $27,980 per year
- Washington County - $28,140 per year
For more data regarding a career in medical assisting in Maryland and to compare salaries with various related fields such as physical therapy assisting or medical assisting, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting in Maryland
- Bachelor's Degree in Medical Assisting in Maryland
- Master's Degree in Medical Assisting in Maryland
- Certificate in Medical Assisting in Maryland
Curious what studying Medical Assistant gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Maryland
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are medical assistant related jobs in Maryland