There are schools offering massage therapy programs in Massachusetts!
Schools Offering Massage Therapy Programs in Massachusetts
Each year, approximately 0.4% of Massachusetts graduates receive certificates in massage therapy. That means an estimated 801 massage therapists graduate from Massachusetts' 22 massage therapy schools each year.
The top-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a massage therapy program is Bancroft School of Massage Therapy. Bancroft School of Massage Therapy, which was ranked 63rd in the country in 2010, is located in Worcester. In 2010, 52 students graduated from Bancroft School of Massage Therapy's massage therapy program.
Elizabeth Grady School of Esthetics and Massage Therapy, which was ranked 71st nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a massage therapy program. It is located in Medford. In 2010, 21 students graduated from Elizabeth Grady School of Esthetics and Massage Therapy massage therapy program.
Spa Tech Institute-Plymouth, which is located in Plymouth, is the third-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a massage therapy program. It received a ranking of 71st in the country in 2010. In 2010, Spa Tech Institute-Plymouth graduated 58 students from its massage therapy programs. The tuition rate at Spa Tech Institute-Plymouth was $0 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Massachusetts' massage therapy schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $1,295 per year, though tuition can range from $8,430 per year to $3,578 per year. In 2010, the massage therapy schools that charged the highest tuition rates in Massachusetts were:
- Mildred Elley - located in Pittsfield, students are charged $8,430 per year
- Springfield Technical Community College - located in Springfield, students are charged $4,386 per year
- Greenfield Community College - located in Greenfield, students are charged $4,310 per year
The following Massachusetts massage therapy schools had the lowest tuition rates:
- Bristol Community College - located in Fall River, students are charged $3,578 per year
- Cape Cod Community College - located in West Barnstable, students are charged $3,624 per year
- Berkshire Community College - located in Pittsfield, students are charged $4,152 per year
A massage therapy certificate from a Massachusetts school... what next?
The highest percentage of massage therapy graduates in Massachusetts pursue careers as a massage therapist. Massachusetts had 1,790 massage therapists in 2010. In Massachusetts, the largest numbers of massage therapists work in the following counties:
- Bristol County - 1,150 massage therapists
- Middlesex County - 110 massage therapists
- Barnstable County - 50 massage therapists
The government projects that by 2018, the number of massage therapists in the state of Massachusetts will grow to 6,180. This would require a 8% growth in the profession.
A massage therapist in Massachusetts makes an average of $41,840 per year. In 2010, however, some Massachusetts massage therapists earned as little as less than $16,280 per year or as much as more than $81,400 per year. The counties in Massachusetts with the highest average salary for a massage therapist are:
- Worcester County - $49,050 per year
- Bristol County - $44,790 per year
- Barnstable County - $43,140 per year
On average, massage therapists earns the least in the following Massachusetts counties:
- Berkshire County - $25,620 per year
- Windham County - $32,310 per year
- Middlesex County - $34,380 per year
Take a look at the graphs and charts below for additional Massachusetts statistics regarding a career in massage therapy and to compare salaries with a variety of related fields such as hospitality or sports medicine.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Massage Therapy in Massachusetts
- Certificate in Massage Therapy in Massachusetts
Curious what studying Massage Therapy gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Massachusetts
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are massage therapy related jobs in Massachusetts