There are schools offering mechanical engineering degrees in Massachusetts!
Schools Offering Mechanical Engineering Programs in Massachusetts
Each year, roughly 0.6% of Massachusetts students graduate with degrees in mechanical engineering. Thus, Massachusetts' 15 mechanical engineering schools put out approximately 1,340 mechanical engineers each year.
The top-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a mechanical engineering program is Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which was ranked 9th in the country in 2010, is located in Cambridge. In 2010, 327 students graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology's mechanical engineering program. Students at Massachusetts Institute of Technology paid $39,212 per year in tuition fees.
Tufts University, which was ranked 12th nationwide in 2010, is the second-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a mechanical engineering program. It is located in Medford. In 2010, 60 students graduated from Tufts University mechanical engineering program. Tufts University charged in-state students $41,598 in tuition fees per year.
Boston University, which was ranked 12th nationwide in 2010, is the third-ranked school in Massachusetts that has a mechanical engineering program. It is located in Boston. 89 students graduated with degree in mechanical engineering from Boston University in 2010. The tuition rate at Boston University was $39,864 per year.
If you are hoping to attend one of Massachusetts' mechanical engineering schools, you can expect to pay an average tuition of $23,185 per year, though tuition can range from $41,598 per year to $3,624 per year. The Massachusetts mechanical engineering schools with the highest tuition rates in 2010 were:
- Tufts University - located in Medford, students are charged $41,598 per year
- Boston University - located in Boston, students are charged $39,864 per year
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - located in Cambridge, students are charged $39,212 per year
The lowest tuition rates at Massachusetts mechanical engineering schools were charged at the following schools:
- Massachusetts Bay Community College - located in Wellesley Hills, students are charged $3,624 per year
- Quinsigamond Community College - located in Worcester, students are charged $4,232 per year
- Springfield Technical Community College - located in Springfield, students are charged $4,386 per year
A mechanical engineering degree from a Massachusetts school... what next?
A large number of Massachusetts mechanical engineering graduates become mechanical engineers. 6,880 mechanical engineers were working in Massachusetts in 2010. The largest populations of Massachusetts mechanical engineers are working in the following counties:
- Bristol County - 4,030 mechanical engineers
- Middlesex County - 1,080 mechanical engineers
- Essex County - 740 mechanical engineers
According the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the number of mechanical engineers is expected to shrink by -2% by 2018. There are projected to be 7,590 mechanical engineers working in the Massachusetts then.
On average, a mechanical engineer earns a salary of $86,210 per year in Massachusetts state. However, Massachusetts mechanical engineers earned anywhere in the range from as less than $43,840 per year to more than $134,040 per year in 2010. A mechanical engineer in the following Massachusetts counties makes the highest salaries on average:
- Middlesex County - $92,115 per year
- Barnstable County - $88,760 per year
- Essex County - $82,903 per year
A mechanical engineer in the following counties in Massachusetts make the lowest salaries on average:
- Hartford County - $69,200 per year
- Windham County - $78,930 per year
- Berkshire County - $80,690 per year
For more data regarding a career in mechanical engineering in Massachusetts and to compare salaries with various related fields such as civil engineering or mechanical engineering, take a look at the graphs and charts below.
Here are the different levels of study available for you to explore.
- Associate's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Massachusetts
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Massachusetts
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Massachusetts
- Doctoral Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Massachusetts
- Certificate in Mechanical Engineering in Massachusetts
Curious what studying Mechanical Engineering gets you?
Check out the different options and how they're looking in Massachusetts
|Rank||Profession||Employment Number||Avg Salary||Job Growth (past 5 yrs)|
|Mechanical Engineering Technicians||1,540||$49,460||-14.4%|
|Engineers, All Other||1,370||$98,070||-65.6%|
|Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other||850||$55,780||-46.9%|
Got your degree? Time to find a job!
Below are mechanical engineering related jobs in Massachusetts